Wednesday, March 29, 2017

CRKT Squid Thoughts

I'm not too fond of the CRKT Squid. I heard a lot of positive things about this knife, so I figured I'd really love it. It's a pretty good quality knife, but I don't really like the design. The stainless steel scales make it way too heavy for my EDC. It's an okay knife, just not one I'd recommend.


The quality is pretty good. I had a lot of issues with it being too tight and gritty initially, but over time, it's smoothed out a lot. I haven't had any other issues besides that though.

I like that this is a small knife. It seems like more knife companies have been releasing small knives recently, which is something I always like to see. However, this knife isn't the best small knife I've tried. It's way too stout, and the stainless steel makes it way too heavy. If you're going to have a knife in this size range, it can't be of comparable weight to a large or mid-sized knife. My Endura felt lighter than this thing, and it was so much larger. Obviously, that has to do with the materials used, but still. I would have liked to see CRKT use a different handle material. It seems like a lot of the knives they make in this size range have metal scales, like the Jettison and Pilar.


Speaking of the metal scales, they give this knife terrible ergonomics. I don't like metal scales for the reason that they always have hotspots, and this knife is no exception. The edges of the scales dig uncomfortably in my hand. The handle feels pretty cramped too. That's pretty weird, because I've had knives in this size range that can fit a full four-finger grip. I don't know what is exactly, but this knife feels awful in my hand.

The blade is good. I don't have any major issues with it. I don't personally like the thumb stud, but it functions exactly as it should. The steel, 8Cr13MoV, isn't the fanciest. It's what you would expect to get in a budget blade like this. My Squid is sharp and has retained its edge very well. I like the blade shape. It's nothing fancy, but it works for all your basic tasks. The thumb stud is kind of hard to access, and the jimping on the spine is pretty much worthless.


The hefty weight of this small blade doesn't make it that nice to carry. It's very noticeable when I carry it. When I carry a small knife, I want it to disappear in the pocket. I hate the deep carry clip, but that's just personal preference.

For $15 to $20, it's not a horrible knife. I thought I'd like it a lot more given how well the EDC community seems to like it. It would be a good option for a classy knife. I don't like it at all, but it's not the worst knife I've ever tried. I think there's a lot better small knives out there on the market that actually carry like small knives. I'd rather have a Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite or Spyderco Dragonfly as my small knife option over this blade. I don't personally recommend it, but there does appear to be a lot of other people that would. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment