Saturday, January 20, 2018

Pelican 1120 Thoughts

For years I'd store my EDC gear in different drawers around my bedroom. I didn't like that system, as everything was always spread out all over the place. I've tried a few different organization systems over the years, but this one would have to be my favorite. I picked up this Pelican 1120 case several years ago, and ever since it has been my primary way to store my gear. It's a cool looking case in my opinion, and I know all my gear is protected inside of it. I highly recommend you pick up some kind of Pelican case for your gear. I'm able to store my whole collection in here. If you've got a larger collection though, I think this particular one is perfect for storing the gear you use the most. Here's a link to Amazon if you're interested.


This is one of the smaller Pelican cases you can get. The neat thing about Pelicans is they come in all sorts of different sizes and colors. If you have a bigger collection, then there's definitely a bigger case you can get. These cases are also neat, because you have a lot of customization you can do inside of them. I store my gear in here differently than how most people use a Pelican case. The big thing about Pelicans is the pick-and-pluck foam. It's a block of foam made up of smaller blocks of foam. You can take out however many blocks you need to best fit your gear. A lot of people use Pelicans to store/protect their camera gear, and knife nuts figured they could be used for knives too. Depending what case you get, you can either store your knives horizontally or vertically if you decide to use the foam. If you go the typical route of using a Pelican case, you'll have a greater peace of mind knowing all your knives are protected and won't bounce off each other. Search Pelican case knife storage on YouTube to see how people set theirs up as well as to see the other popular models. 


Pelican cases are completely waterproof, dustproof, and crushproof. That pretty much means they're invincible. Whatever you put in here will be safe and protected. They've also got this neat pressure valve which helps equalize the pressure inside. They're made out of polypropylene, which I consider to be a fancier and stronger plastic. Pelicans are probably one of the most durable cases you can get. The handle is nice and allows you to grab the case easily. There are also two latches with holes on both ends if you'd like to lock it shut. The latches are very hard to open and close, but at least you know the case is shut securely. The latches are probably my only complaint about this case. I typically keep mine unlatched in my room, so it's not too big of a concern. Pelican cases are made in the USA too, so that's always a plus.


As far as interior dimensions go, the 1120 is just over 7" in length, about 3" deep, and almost 5" wide. I've got a smaller collection, but I'm able to store all of my gear in here. It can fit a lot more than you think when you take out the foam block. As you can see from the picture, it comes with an egg crate type foam on the top, a thinner foam layer on the bottom, and there's usually another block of foam that fills the rest of the space.


I absolutely love using this case as a dumpbox for my gear. I don't mind if my things scratch and bump up against each other. If I had used the pick-and-pluck foam, I would've been able to store maybe about 5 knives in here. I'm very happy with this case as my storage system for all my gear.

I know a lot of people use tray type things to organize their EDC, but I think a Pelican case is much cooler. I'm amazed that the 1120 goes for about $25. That's an amazing deal for something that will last you forever. Here's a link to Amazon if you'd like to check it out. I highly recommend the 1120 or any Pelican case for that matter. I've had a few different Pelican products, and I've been impressed by every single one. You don't have to just use them for knives. People store all sorts of different things in them. I think it'd be neat to do some kind of survival kit in one. Definitely look into them if you're trying to change up your gear storage. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. RkR0k: Got the bigger bro' 2 this Kool Tiny Case. It R0ks! Good 2 know they make 'em this compact! On my radar 4 sure! Seen 'em in Safety Yellow 4 Tech-Comm industry.

    ReplyDelete