Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Ontario Rat 2 Thoughts

I've been into knives for at least five years now, and I just got around to picking up an Ontario Rat 2 last year. I highly regret not picking one up sooner. I don't have a single complaint about this knife. It's pretty much perfect in my eyes. I believe it's an essential knife for any serious knife collector or user. It is probably my favorite mid-sized knife I've ever bought. If you want to check it out on Amazon, here's a link!


I love the design of the Rats. It's not the fanciest or most beautiful design out there, yet it works perfectly for EDC. I always prefer to have function over beauty. This is a mid-sized knife, but it feels a lot smaller in the hand. Ontario makes a great quality product as well. This knife is so smooth! I was shocked at how good the action is. It beats the action of most of the other knives I've tried. I've got no complaints when it comes to quality and design.


Getting onto the blade, it's a simple 3" AUS-8 blade. That's the perfect size for a mid-sized EDC knife. The steel isn't the best for all those steel snobs out there, but for typical EDC usage, it'll be just fine. I love the thumbstuds too. They're not hard to access, so it's easy to flip the knife open. With that amazing action, this knife is so much fun to play with. If you do want a higher end steel, Ontario put out a D2 version as well. You'll pay more for that of course. I do know that some people think the added cost is worth it. Last but not least, the jimping on the spine is well-done and works as it should. This knife has been able to cut all the things I've needed it to cut.


The handles are a plasticky material, but they still feel nice in the hand. The rounded edges on the scales are a great touch. The OD green looks awesome. I'm glad Ontario has so many different color options and even some blacked out blades as well. You can get one in the carbon fiber/G-10 or the plastic scales in a variety of colors. They do have a slight texturing to them, so they're not completely slick. The ergos are amazing. This is one of the most comfortable knives I've tried. The knife fits perfectly in my hand. If you have larger hands, you might not be able to fit a full four-finger grip. There is the bigger brother, the Rat 1, that you may also want to check out if that's the case. The clip has nice retention and carries well. I haven't had any problems with the liner lock. I've seen people really beat up on these knives, and the lock has done perfectly fine. The lockup is solid, though there may be a slight bit of side-to-side play. It's not a huge concern to me. I thought it'd be a pain to carry since it does have full steel liners, but it still disappears in the pocket. I also like that the scales are pretty thin and the handle itself isn't that wide, which helps slim down the knife. Again, I've got no complaints when it comes to the handle, clip, or lock. 


These go for around $30, which is a fantastic deal for what you're getting. It is made of solid materials and will last forever. It's the perfect price point to start out your EDC or give to friends/family that need a new knife. It's easily the best budget EDC knife out there. 

If you're like me and have waited years to pick a Rat 2 up, you need to get one now. I highly recommend it! It's a great quality blade with killer ergos. As I've said, it's a perfect knife all around. You can't go wrong for $30. Here's a link to it on Amazon if you're interested. Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...probably got to check that one out then :-)..great post Ally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to! It's one of my favorite knives now. thanks for looking!

      Delete
  2. will u carry this knife for self defense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. none of my knives are carried with self defense in mind. thanks for looking!

      Delete