Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Nitecore Tube/TIP/TINI Comparsion

The Tube, TIP, and TINI make up Nitecore's keychain sized line. There's some key differences and similarities. I figured this post could help anyone that wants to try out a Nitecore but doesn't know which one. If you're trying to decide between the three, I hope this post helps you narrow it down. I will say, the Tube is definitely my favorite of the three. I also have individual posts with my in-depth thoughts on each, which I'll have linked here: Tube, TIP, TINI. I won't be getting into the specs all that much. Instead, I'll mostly focus on design, UI, price, etc.


Price wise, the Tube goes for $10, and both the TIP and TINI go for $30. If you're just looking for a good budget light, go with the Tube. They're all a good value for what you're getting, but you can't beat $10 for a reliable, lightweight flashlight in the Tube.


All three lights are kind of related, though they all look different. I like that a lot, because it adds fresh designs to the flashlight world. The TINI reminds me of a projector, and the Tube and TIP have more normal designs. The TIP's rectangular shape is not my favorite in the world, especially when you think about how much slimmer a AAA light is. The Tube is a nice balance between thinness and a small size. The TINI is very tiny and is probably the smallest of the three, at least length wise. I think the TINI looks the coolest, and it seems like the smallest. All are lightweight and would be easy to EDC. I'd only consider putting the Tube on my keychain, since the plastic body keeps it even lighter and is slimmer than the TIP/TINI. I do like the aluminum bodies on the TIP and TINI more than the plastic body on the Tube though. If you're picking between them purely based on design, I'd go with whatever one you think looks the best. I'd personally rate them as TINI, Tube, and then TIP when it comes down to design.

I love that they're all clicky lights. Both the TIP and TINI have the extra mode switch, which I'm honestly not a fan of. I always seem to hit the wrong button. The TIP/Tube have similar buttons that are raised, have a rubberized texture, and take a bit of effort to press. The TINI's are very easy to press and are metal opposed to rubber. I'd say the Tube is easiest to use, since it's simple with one button. Having two buttons is something I've never had before, and it was something I didn't want to get used to.


All three are USB rechargeable which is awesome! I love that Nitecore did that with these! It helps keep the cost down, since you don't have to buy batteries all the time. Plus it's so convenient, especially now when everyone usually has some sort of USB charger on them. The TIP is the only one that doesn't have a rubber cover to protect the micro USB port. I'm not sure why that is. It's not a deal breaker, but it is something to keep note of. All three have light indicators to show when they're charging.

The Tube is the only one of the three that is infinitely variable. It's not necessary for EDC, but it is neat to have. It's nice to have an entire range of light to pick from, even if the Tube isn't the brightest in the world. All three do have mode memory, which is very nice as well.

The TINI has the most annoying UI out of the three. You have to press and hold to get the light to turn on. Then you can individually click with the mode switch to go through the modes. I've never been a fan of press and hold. I want my flashlight to turn on immediately, even if a few second delay isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. The Tube's UI is click once for low, and then click again for high. The TIP is more of the same, where the only press and hold is to get to the turbo mode. If I had to rank the UI on each, it'd go Tube, TIP, and then the TINI.


Surprisingly, the TINI is the brightest. The max lumens on the TINI are 380, while the TIP's max is 360 lumens and the Tube's max is 45 lumens. If you're only concerned with having the highest number of lumens, go with the TINI. I will say that all have performed perfectly fine when I've needed a light. Sure it'd be nice if the Tube was at least a hundred lumens, but honestly I've never felt like I needed more light than that. The beam on the Tube has a slightly purple tint to it due to the LED, but the other two have more normal tints. As far as output goes, I'd pick the TIP for a solid max output with a better UI than the TINI.

Let's round this out with some of the odds and ends. The Tube has the exposed LED and plastic body, which makes me wonder about the long-term durability. All three lights are offered in all sorts of different colors, so that's very cool! The Tube and TIP both come in other beam varieties. The TIP is offered in CRI, and the Tube is offered in UV, red, and I believe green light. There are screws that allow you to take the TIP and TINI apart. I think I covered all the main points I wanted to get to. Again, check out my individual posts on each for a more in-depth look.

Overall, I think the best light of three is the Tube. After that, the TIP would have to be my second favorite, while the TINI is the worst. I love Nitecore as a company and appreciate what they do as far as new and different designs go. They make some solid lights that are a mix of good performance, great quality, and a good value. If you'd like to check any of them out, here are their links on Amazon: Tube, TIP, TINI. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. This Is An Excellent Post I Seen. I Have To Thanks To You To Share It It Is Really What I Wanted To See Hope In Future You Will Continue For Sharing.
    Nitecore

    ReplyDelete