Wednesday, July 10, 2019

EDC Pen Collection Update 2019!

Over the past few weeks I've been doing updates on my EDC gear collection, like my knives, flashlights, and mulitools. Here's the final update on the current state of my EDC pen collection. Pens and flashlights are probably the things I use the most consistently in my EDC. I've added a few new pens since my last update and probably won't have any additions for a while. I feel like I've got all the pens I need in every size from keychain to compact to full size. 


The middle of this photo is the core of my collection with the newer additions at the two ends. As always, going from left to right, I've got the Valiant Concepts keychain pen, two Pokka pens, Fisher Bullet space pen, Zebra G-301 (gel pen), Parker Jotter, Zebra F-301 (regular ballpoint pen), Pilot Metropolitan, Fisher Cap-o-matic, and a tactical pen. All of these are regular ballpoint pens except the Pilot Metropolitan, which is my one and only fountain pen. If you want to get into fountain pens, the Metropolitan is definitely the one I recommend. It's such a different writing experience, feeling a lot more smooth overall than regular ballpoints. I've never felt inclined to add any more fountain pens to my collection since I love the Metropolitan so much. It's the perfect fountain pen in my eyes. 

I'm happy that I have a few more compact pens to rotate with the Fisher Bullet space pen. I've always found that to be the perfect size for EDC and have hoped that other companies would eventually make other compact options. The Pokka pens are essentially plastic versions of the Bullet that come in 3 packs for about $9. It's one of those pens you could loan out to someone and not worry as much if it walks off, unlike losing a $20 Bullet. The Valiant Concepts keychain pen is probably one of my favorites, because there are even fewer tiny pens out there. Despite how small it is, it's still incredibly comfortable to write with and has found a permanent place on my keys.

The Zebra 301s and Parker Jotter are two less expensive options that have a nicer writing experience than cheap plastic pens. I prefer the Zebras for everyday writing more, but the Jotter is a popular option as well. The Zebras go for less than $5 a pen, while the Jotter is about $10. The Cap-o-matic just stays in my hiking bag in case I ever need to write in the rain. The tactical pen is neat but too bulky as an EDC option. I could see myself throwing it in a bag for a potential self-defense option. I hope you all have enjoyed seeing the updates on my gear collection! I'm very happy with what I've got and think I've got a good variety of stuff for every occasion. It'll be fun to look back at these posts in a few years and see if my collection has drastically changed or not. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment