Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Ganzo Firebird F6802 Thoughts

In all the years I've been into knives, I've tried very few, if any, Ganzos. I had the chance to try this F6802 thanks to an awesome viewer of mine, Mike! Huge thanks to him for letting me borrow it! I'm not a fan of this knife for a number of reasons. I see why people like Ganzos, but honestly, this one is not anything special. This is going to be relatively quick as I'm going to do a likes/dislikes format opposed to my typical format.


For likes, there aren't too many. It is a nice size for EDC, and the price (less than $10) is reasonable for what you're getting. The blade is a little over 3" overall so it's a good mid-sized folder. The steel is just some Chinese stainless which isn't terrible or great. The ergos are alright if it wasn't for the deep carry clip. The clip sticks out more than I'd like, so it ended up digging into my hand uncomfortably. The liner lock has solid lockup and is easy to access thanks to a cutout. There aren't any glaring quality issues either which kind of surprised me.


As far as dislikes, there's obviously a lot. I personally don't like the look of the design. The cheap feeling rubberized grip section looks tacky to me. Sure it adds some level of grip during use, but I don't think the knife would be slipping out of your hand without it. The rest of the handles are aluminum and do have some cutouts at the butt end of the knife. The handles are just eh overall in terms of aesthetics and feel. I usually love thumb holes but this one is badly done. It's way too sharp on the edges and is awkwardly placed. The knife is stiff which doesn't help; however, I really have to dig my thumb into the hole in order to get the blade out. I also hate deep carry clips with a passion.

Overall, I kinda hate this knife. There's nothing about it that stands out, and for a budget folder, you might as well get a Kershaw or splurge a bit more for an Ontario Rat 2. I'm all about reasonably priced knives, but this one doesn't do it for me. I wouldn't recommend it at all and probably won't try any more Ganzos in the future. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment