Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Tuya SNS Thoughts

I had the chance to try out this sweet Tuya SNS for a few months. Huge thanks to Mike for letting me borrow it! I love everything about this knife, except for the blade shape. I typically do like recurves, yet this one looks weird to me due to a pointier recurve instead of a smooth one. It's a very tiny complaint in the grand scheme of things though. It's on the higher end of the price range for me, around $115, but that's probably justified for S35VN and titanium handles. I'm going to do a likes/dislikes format for this knife, so this may not be as in-depth as my previous thoughts posts.


As far as likes go, the two things that jump out to me most are the size and flipping action. This knife is absolutely the perfect size for my EDC needs. You're getting a 2.55" blade with a 3.1" handle. It's most likely on the smaller end for you dudes, but I can manage a full four-finger grip. I'd say it's probably more of a three-finger knife for those with larger hands. I'm normally not a fan of metal handles, yet I do like these. There's no hotspots anywhere, and the ergos are very comfortable. I love how slim the handle is width-wise. The light weight, thinness, and slim handle width make it that much better for an inconspicuous carry.


Onto the flipping action which is phenomenal! It is easily one of the best flippers I've ever tried. The ceramic ball bearing system makes it that much smoother. With just a little bit of pressure, the blade flies out so quickly. I've never had it only flip halfway out like some bad flippers I've tried (Kershaw Skyline for instance). Every flip has been a clean and fast deployment. It's been a joy to use/carry and has performed exactly as it should. It goes to show you can still make awesome, high-quality flippers in a smaller size.


I've had no quality issues with it either. This was the first Tuyaknife I've tried, and I'd definitely be interested in trying more in the future. The framelock has solid lockup, S35VN is a great steel, and the blue anodization looks awesome. It also came in that awesome pouch which is much nicer packaging than a boring box.

Like I mentioned at the beginning, the only dislike I have is with the blade shape. Tuya should have smoothed out where the recurve starts, as it looks a little too pointy for me. I wouldn't typically go for the $100+ price tag, but it's justified for the quality/materials you're getting. The SNS goes for about $115 on Tuya's website right now (linked here).

All in all, this is an awesome, classy option for EDC! The blade shape is a small thing to get over for how great of a flipper this knife is. It's been an all-around good experience. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a smaller knife. You won't regret it. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment