Saturday, August 18, 2018

ReyLight Pineapple Thoughts

The ReyLight Pineapple has one of the funnest names of any flashlights I've seen. It looks nothing like a pineapple so I wonder where the inspiration for the name comes from. Being one of the first brass lights I've tried, I was surprised to see that it's so heavy. I've heard brass is a heavier metal, but I didn't expect it to be this hefty. For that reason alone, it's not something I'd ever want to carry. Besides the weight, it seems like an alright option. It's not my favorite thing in the world, yet it's not absolutely terrible either. If you'd like to check it out on Amazon, here's a link.


I love the look of it! The color stands out in a sea of otherwise black flashlights. I believe ReyLight has done these in titanium and copper as well. All the machining looks nice and provides some extra grip. I had never heard of ReyLight before trying this light. They seem to be a smaller company with a few different models. Interestingly enough, there's a mini copper Pineapple that runs off AAA/10440 batteries if you prefer that battery for EDC. The quality seems good as well. The threads are smooth, and the fit and finish seems perfect. It's a AA sized light which is a relatively compact package for EDC. It still doesn't beat the slimness of a AAA in my opinion. Also, it can tailstand if that's something you like in your lights. 


The Pineapple can put out 470 lumens max off a 14500 battery. That's a great output for a light this size. It can also run AA batteries, though you won't get anywhere near the 470 lumens. Off a AA, you're only going to get 130 lumens max. That's laughably bad. If you haven't invested in rechargeable batteries, I highly recommend you do. Get either 14500 for AA lights or 10440 for AAA lights. You'll drastically improve your outputs. They're a great investment for anyone that EDCs a flashlight. 

Anyways back to this light. For modes, it has a moonlight (0.2 lumens for 20 days), low (8.5 lumens for 31 hours), medium (90 lumens for 2.5 hours), and high (470 lumens for 58 minutes). That pretty much covers every range of light you'll need. I've never had any problems using it for my typical EDC tasks.  I love seeing a moonlight mode on this light; however, it's almost too dim. Normally moonlights are my most used modes, but I find myself using the low way more. I like that there are no strobe or SOS modes. Those always just clutter up a light for me. Luckily this light does have mode memory. That's one of my favorite features on flashlights so you don't have to go through every single mode to get to the one you use the most. If you wanted to turn that feature off for some reason, you can quickly tap the button 8 times to always make the default mode moonlight. I'd personally hate that since the moonlight is so dim. The output has been very impressive and perfectly adequate for EDC.

This light uses the Nichia CRI LED which I've never tried before. I hear so many people rave about CRI lights, but honestly I don't see what's so special about them. I like that the beam is more of a flood than a hotspot. The tint is okay but a little too yellow for my tastes. I prefer whiter/neutral tints typically. I have noticed it getting hot during use, especially on high. You'd expect to see that on most lights though.


I'm very happy that this light is a clicky. It makes the light so easy to use one-handed. I'm not the biggest fan of the button. You have to press it down pretty deeply to turn the light on. I usually prefer a firmer clicky than a softer one. The button itself does rattle a bit when on or off. It's not the end of the world, just thought it was worth a mention. The metal switch feels nicer than a plastic/rubber one. If you were curious about the groove, it's meant for a tritium vial. That shows that this light is more of a show piece, since most people always add tritium to their fancier pieces of gear. I do like to put my nail in the groove to click the button a little easier. I'm glad the mode memory is a thing so you don't have to click/tap the annoying button every time to get to whatever mode you need. Once the light is on, you can do half presses on the button to avoid individually clicking for each mode. You can do momentary on too which I always love to see. Overall, the UI is fine and functions like a typical clicky would. My biggest gripe is with the button itself.


Due to the weight (more than 3 ounces), I hate how this light carries. The clip is weird looking and a bit too wide for me. It doesn't seem the sturdiest, so I'm not sure how it'd hold up over time. I'd prefer a slimmer clip on an EDC light. I do carry this in my bag opposed to on my person since I've got no pocket space anyways. You can remove the clip if you're not a fan of it either. It just unscrews from the retaining ring on the top. It's fine but it's not my favorite. The Pineapple does seem slightly bigger than other AA lights in width and length.

I see these go for about $50 on Amazon. That seems like a fair enough deal for an almost 500 lumen brass light. They used to go on Massdrop for less than that I believe. I'm not sure where else you can find them anymore. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend tracking one down. There's a wide variety of AA/14500 lights out there that are most likely better than this one.

All in all, the aesthetic of this light is about all I ended up liking. There's a few quirks regarding the rest of the light that I'm not a fan of. If it was harder to find compact 500ish lumen lights, this one would probably be way more impressive. That's not the case in this heavily saturated flashlight market. As a classier light, it'd serve that purpose very well. It's not something I'd recommend for carry. If you want a light made out of a different material than the typical aluminum, titanium, stainless steel, etc., than it's not a bad choice. I've had it on loan and wouldn't feel inclined to go pick one up for myself. I never thought it'd be something I'd seriously consider as an EDC option because of the weight. Mostly, it seemed like something fun to check out from a different company. I would not personally recommend it. That's not to say it's awful, but I have other clickys I prefer, like the FourSevens Preon P1 and Lumintop Tool AA. If you're interested in picking one up, here's a link to it on Amazon. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment