Saturday, August 25, 2018

Thrunite T10T Thoughts

The T10T is a discontinued model from Thrunite. I wish I could say it was a shame it was discontinued, but honestly this isn't a very memorable light. Don't get me wrong, it's performed perfectly well. I've just preferred other lights I own more. I've had this one on loan, and like the Eagletac D25a I talked about in a previous post, I wouldn't feel inclined to pick one up had they still been available. I've always been impressed with what Thrunite does for the price. They've probably got a better model available than this one nowadays.


Since I mentioned the D25a earlier, I might as well say this is a very similar light. Both are titanium flashlights that have more of a plain design. The T10T here lacks any knurling along the body. Honestly, that's fine with me. I've never felt like the light was too slick for me to grab onto. The quality has been great like all of the other Thrunites I've tried. It runs on a AA battery and is not much bigger than a typical AAA light. I was always worried that AA lights wouldn't be as pocketable as AAA ones, yet that's not the case at all. This one is very compact and relatively light. It does have the ability to tailstand too.


Running this light on a normal AA battery, the max output is 208 lumens for the cool white version and 169 for the neutral white. I honestly couldn't tell you what version this one is. I've never been able to tell much of a difference between all the beam tints out there besides the yellower ones. Speaking of beam tint, it's nice and normal looking flood beam. I have no idea about the runtimes. I've never had to change the battery in the month and a halfish I've used it. There are three modes total on these T10Ts: high (the 200 or 169 lumens), medium (13 lumens), and moonlight (0.15 lumens). I don't like the huge lumen difference between all the modes. There's no true medium mode, just two lows (the firefly and 13 lumen "medium"). I do like seeing the moonlight mode on this light, but it seems a little too dim. I wish the medium mode was more in the 50 lumen range. Sometimes high is too much but the 13 lumens is too dim. It's always been more than bright enough for my basic EDC tasks.


The metal tailcap feels much nicer than the typical plastic/rubber ones, yet it feels a little too firm for my liking. It is like any other clicky when it comes to UI. You can individually click for each mode or half press to cycle through the modes. It's not as easy to do half presses due to the firmer tailcap. It's still perfectly manageable though. If you don't like clickys, you can also use this light as a twisty which is neat. You don't see too many clicky/twisty combo lights out there anymore. Being that it's not designed primarily as a twisty, it's a little stiff when you turn it on/off that way. I love that it has mode memory. That's one of the best features on any flashlight in my opinion.


I personally think the T10T has a weird looking clip that's a bit bigger than it needs to be. It does still carry fine though, so the design just don't match with my personal preferences. This light is very smooth to slide in and out of the pocket since there's no knurling under the clip. 

I'm not sure how much these went for as far a price goes. I'd imagine they'd be somewhere in the $50 to $65 range. For the lower output, I wouldn't have wanted to pay that much for one. Flashlight technology has greatly improved in the years since this light was released.

All in all, there's nothing about this light that blows me away. The design is very bland and blends in with a lot of other lights out there. The output isn't all that impressive anymore either. I'd much rather have a colorful light that has a true medium mode and brighter high mode. It was fun to try, yet it's not something I'd recommend. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Not to nag Ally,great posts all over by the way...but DEEPLY missed on the video front..will there be some soon?

    ReplyDelete