Saturday, January 25, 2020

Recommended EDC Gear of 2019

2019 was one of those years where I wasn't as active in the community and hence didn't try much new gear. Still, I always love doing these annual recommended gear posts to highlight some of the things I got a lot of use out of. I apologize in advance for the photos. I just shot them on my phone since I don't have my good camera with me currently. Without further ado, here's the gear I loved carrying in 2019.


The biggest item in this photo is my current backpack, the Jansport Recruit. I picked this up probably two years ago now to replace an Osprey bag I wasn't a fan of. It held up great during college and now serves as my work bag. I've always been impressed with Jansport's quality, plus it fits everything I need and has two water bottle pockets. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a simple backpack that doesn't stand out too much.


Now to get into the smaller things, there's two tech items and then two actual EDC tools. The newest addition is the Fitbit Versa 2, which is a smartwatch that has all of the health/fitness tracking features that Fitbit is known for. Despite only having it since Christmas, it's already become a new favorite. I'm big into tech and always thought it'd be neat to have a smartwatch so I can see notifications, control my music, track health, etc. It's been awesome so far! The other tech item is a pair of bluetooth headphones, the Jaybird X3's. I've had these for at least a year and much prefer them to wired headphones. It's so nice to not have the cord get stuck on things or tangle up. Battery life is good enough for me, and they're comfortable to wear for long amounts of time.

Like I said at the beginning, I didn't buy much new gear this year and was content with carrying what I've got in my collection. Back when I was in school, I didn't have a ton of knife usage, yet I would always be reaching for a flashlight and small multitool. The Victorinox Classic and Lumintop Tool AA are my go-to options that haven't left my EDC pouch in quite some time. They definitely got the most use out of all my gear in 2019. If you don't own a Classic, you absolutely need to get one! It has far surpassed my favorite knife, the Spyderco Ladybug, in terms of usage, because of the extra tools like scissors, a screwdriver, and tweezers. The Lumintop Tool AA is a great flashlight with over 500 lumens on high. I love the purple body and green tailcap combo!

I did have the opportunity to try a bunch of new gear at the beginning of the year thanks to some generous viewers and the passaround group I'm in. Of all that loaner gear, one knife stood out to me the most, which was the Bestech Reticulan. It was easily the best knife I tried in 2019 and is still one I need to add to my own collection.


I didn't have a single complaint about the Reticulan. It has such a unique design, is the perfect size for me, flips incredibly well, and comes in a few different colors. I love what Bestech is doing in the smaller size range, since not many companies consistently put out smaller options. It'll probably be one of the first gear purchases I make this year once I downsize my collection.

That wraps it up for my recommended EDC gear of 2019. I'm looking forward to seeing what stands out in 2020. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment