Saturday, April 22, 2017

Thrunite TI4 Thoughts

I've been very impressed with this light. It's one of the few 2AAA lights I've ever tried. I dig the form factor, and it's proven to be a solid light for EDC. While it's not the perfect light for me, I would say it'd be a great EDC light. A simple way for Thrunite to make this light better would be to introduce it in more color options.


I always feel the need to mention how the quality of a piece of gear is. In this day and age, most gear is super good quality. This light is no exception. I've had no issues with this TI4 at all. It's been extremely solid.

The design is pretty simple and lacks any features that makes it stand out from most AAA lights. That's not a bad thing at all. It does what it needs to do without being overly flashy or complicated. The body of the light is smooth, but is still easy to grip. This is a clicky light, and I like the clicky a lot. It's much firmer than most clickys I've tried before, which means it takes a little more pressure to turn the light on. I didn't think I'd like that at first, but it gives you a greater peace of mind that this light won't accidentally turn on. The pocket clip is good and works as it should. My biggest complaint would have to be the lack of color options. I don't like to buy black or silver lights, because they're way too boring for my tastes.

I don't really know much of the specifics about this light's output. I tried looking it up, but found that Thrunite has two different versions of this light that look exactly the same. One puts out a max output of 250ish lumens, while the other one puts out about 300 lumens. Just know it's somewhere in that range. In my opinion, the exact number doesn't really matter. I've never had this light be too dim for my uses. It lights up my room completely with no issue. Its got a firefly mode that puts out 0.4 lumens. This is by far my favorite and most used mode. When I need a flashlight, most of the time it's for something that I'm already close to and for a short amount of time. It's nice to have this super low mode, because you don't end up blinding yourself when it turns on. It's got a "low" mode that I consider more of a medium mode that puts out 32 lumens. If you need a strobe mode, this light has that too. The tint is a nice color. It doesn't have mode memory, but it does have a short memory mode that remembers the mode you used within the past 10 seconds. The light doesn't have momentary on either, but to easily switch modes, you can just half press the button when the light is on, so you don't have to fully click the button on and off a bunch of time. You can also double tap the button when the light is already on to cycle through the modes, but that takes a lot more effort in my opinion. Runtimes aren't as important to me, so if you need to know that info, just check out Thrunite's website. I will say that I've never had this light die on me in the past few weeks I've been using it.

The TI4 is about $20 on Thrunite's website right now. I think that's a pretty good price for a 2AAA light like this. You're getting a solid flashlight that puts out a good amount of light. I've been very impressed with it. I wish there were more color options and a momentary on feature. Other than that, I really don't have any major complaints about the light. It's been fun to carry and use. I don't think I'd choose it over my FourSevens Preon P2, but it's a good option if you want a light that doesn't break the bank. I'd recommend it for sure. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment