Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Recommended EDC Gear of 2017

Now that 2017 is almost over, it's time to talk about some of my favorite gear I've used this year. I've had the chance to try a decent amount of gear throughout 2017, so here's what I've really enjoyed carrying and using.


I'd say this was the year of Victorinox for me. I've found that I always reach for one of their knives on a regular basis. My most used tool this year was the Victorinox Classic (link to Amazon here). I think it has finally beaten my Spyderco Ladybug (link to Amazon here) out as my go-to tool. I still love my Ladybug, but I didn't find myself reaching for it that much this year. I've started using Victorinoxs in the kitchen a lot too. The Alox Pioneer (link to Amazon here) and Alox Bantam have come in very handy. I love the Bantam for chopping vegetables, since it's such a slim tool. The Pioneer is quickly impressing me as a multitool with its great toolset. I don't have many other multitools with an awl, so it's nice that the Pioneer has one. I would say I prefer the Pioneer over the Cadet. 

As far as other knives go, I've loved the Ontario Rat 1 and 2, and the Spyderco Cricket. The Rat 2 (link to Amazon here) is easily my best purchase and favorite knife of the year. The Rats are such smooth, quality knives that function great for EDC. The Rat 2 stays in my college backpack at all times, while the Rat 1 (link to Amazon here) goes in my hiking bag. I really regret not picking up a Rat earlier. I thought they were extremely overhyped, but boy was I wrong. The Cricket (link to Amazon here) is probably my favorite knife design I picked up and used this year. It looks so cool with the reverse S blade. I love the form factor and the slimness. 

Onto the last few things, my favorite light would have to be the new FourSevens Preon P1. I surprisingly think I'm starting to prefer it to the Classic Preon I loved for so long. I think that's mostly because I love having tailcaps on my EDC light. They're much more convenient and easy to use than a twisty light. I also started EDCing a headlamp this year, so that's been a favorite. This is one I picked up on Amazon for like $15 (linked here). I love the convenience and all the modes that it offers. I'm still loving my Case Logic camera pouch that I use to carry my EDC in. Lastly, I've got a newfound appreciation for my Pelican 1120 case this year (link to Amazon here), as I'm constantly traveling back and forth between my college and home. I brought all my gear to college this year, so having the Pelican with me has allowed me to easily transport all my gear.

That about wraps up my favorite gear I've tried this year. I highly recommend you pick up any of these things. I've really appreciated having them as part of my EDC this year. It'll be interesting to see what makes the list in 2018. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment