Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Cold Steel Large Voyager Thoughts

I've usually ended up enjoying all the Cold Steels I've tried, though a lot of them aren't practical for me to carry every day. That's pretty much the case with this Cold Steel Large Voyager. It's a very solid knife, but too large and tactical for me. If you're looking for a bigger option, this is a solid knife, especially since Cold Steel has upgraded their steel. I wouldn't personally recommend it, yet I do realize it's a nice knife.


Design wise, this is a typical Cold Steel in every way. It's an extremely solid and high quality knife. The design isn't anything too crazy. It just works well for EDC. I personally like the look of it.


With this being the large version of the Voyager, the blade comes in at 4". It's definitely on the larger side and is something I wouldn't want to EDC personally. They do have this Voyager line in the whole spectrum of size from medium all the way up to extra large. I could see it being a good self-defense option or just a knife that you beat up on. I wasn't the happiest when Cold Steel started upgrading their steel from AUS-8 to CTS BD1, mostly because I thought it'd increase prices drastically. These are still affordable, while providing you with that much nicer steel. I didn't think I'd be impressed with CTS BD1, but it has blown me away. It's been very sharp and has held its edge well over the time I've used it. I'm interested in trying out more of the recent Cold Steels now. The clip point blade looks nice and works it exactly as it should. There's also a tanto version if that's your cup of tea. My only complaint when it comes the the blade is about the thumb studs. They're on the larger side, so they are easy to get to. However, I occasionally have problems where my thumb slips off the thumb stud and the blade just snaps closed almost immediately. It does take a lot more force to get the blade open opposed to other knives I've had. Maybe it just needs to be broken in or I'm not used to the size. It might be easier to see in the video I do. The main point is that I can't get it cleanly open 100% of the time. That's just a minor gripe though, as I'm sure my technique is off. The knife is on the stiffer side, so maybe that has something to do with it. Overall, I do like the blade, and it's a fantastic cutter.


Since you've got that large blade, you also get a bigger handle. It is more than big enough for my smaller hands. The handle length is about 5.25", so it is quite a bit longer than the blade. I normally don't like blade-to-handle ratios that are so far off, but this knife still looks fine with the longer handle. The handle material is Cold Steel's Grivory, which is essentially just fancier plastic. I do wish they came in a color other than black. The scales have a very grippy texture to them that will absolutely tear up your pockets. I think the handle texture is almost too aggressive for an EDC knife, but for a tactical knife, it obviously makes sense. The ergos are great no matter how you hold it. A forward and backward grip are both very comfortable. The edges of the handles are rounded slightly, so it makes the knife feel as if it melts into your hand. I don't really like that your hand is so far back from the blade. Again though, if this is meant as a tactical knife, that makes sense. From an EDC standpoint alone, this particular version is not the best option in my opinion. Like all Cold Steels, the Voyager has the infamous Tri-ad lock. I love this lock for its durability. I've seen so many tests where people beat up on this lock, and it's still perfectly solid in the end. It's on the stiffer side to disengage, but it might just need more time to wear in. The lockup is perfect with no blade play in any direction. My biggest complaint when it comes to the handle side of the knife is mostly just the aggressive texture on the scales. As long as you know that going into it, then I think it's fine. 


The clip is okay, but unless you sand down the area under it, this knife will destroy your pockets. It is a heftier knife too, so it does have a bit more weight to it. Plus I don't think I mentioned that it has full aluminum liners, which increases the weight as well (4.6 ounces to be exact). They do help add more strength to this already strong knife. The clip is tip-up left or right hand carry, which is nice. It carries decently, but isn't the best for me due to it's bigger width. It's a beefier knife though, so what would you expect.

Based on descriptions I've read on various knife stores online, it seems that Cold Steel is applauding itself for the stiffness of this knife. I don't get why anyone would want a stiff knife. That's Cold Steel for you though. As an EDC knife, this knife would suck. As a tactical/beater option, it'd be great. I would hate to carry this thing everyday, but I do acknowledge that Cold Steel made an extremely solid knife. The ergos are very comfortable, CTS BD1 is such an awesome steel, and they go for about $50! That's a great value for what you're getting. This knife will take a beating and last for a long time. My biggest issues with it would have to be the overall stiffness and the too grippy scales. It's a quality knife for sure. I wouldn't personally recommend it for EDC, but like I've said, I really don't see that as it's purpose. If you've wanted to pick one up, I do say it's worth a look. Other than that, just find a much lighter and more reasonably sized EDC knife. There's countless other options out there around this price point. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, same experience. Though a well made knife. Too large to fit the pocket of my pants.
    I chose the CS Tuff Lite. Which is my favorite pocket knife of all I had.
    I do like the stiff Tri-Ad Lock system though. Having had the edge of a knife once collapsing onto my finger, you start to appreciate the strong lock a lot.

    ReplyDelete