Wednesday, June 27, 2018

What I Watched: June 2018

Hey everyone! This month I've unfortunately been spending more of my free time studying than watching movies/TV shows. That'll probably continue for the rest of the summer due to some career-related exams I'm preparing to take. I've focused more of whatever free time I've got on doing this knife stuff, so I expect the amount of content I watch will continue to drop. I didn't start and/or finish any TV shows this month. I'm the type of person that once I start a show, I have to finish it as soon as possible. I don't want to get sucked into binge watching any shows until I finish taking my exams. With all that out of the way, this'll be a relatively short post, since I've only got movies to talk about. I'll usually watch a few movies a week during the evenings as a way to take a break from studying. My library has been very good at having newer movies available, so I've managed to watch a lot of popular ones in June. I believe I watched about 9 movies this month.

My favorite of the month was probably Flatliners. The trailers I had seen of it didn't look too appealing, but the movie itself was great. I liked the premise of it. It was interesting to see the demise of all the main characters after they start to flirt with death. Basically, these med students found a way to have near death experiences without having to permanently die. It took a lot of weird twists and turns that I didn't expect. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it. If you've kept up with the blog posts I do, you'll know I love true crime. I saw that my local library had My Friend Dahmer in their digital catalog. Last month I enjoyed reading the graphic novel that it's based on. I figured I might as well watch the movie adaptation. I think I liked it more than the graphic novel. I was surprised to recognize a lot of the actors from former Disney and Nickelodeon shows I watched as a kid. It was good but not great. I don't feel that it wasted my time though, so that's all that matters. The movie on here that was the biggest waste of my time was St. Elmo's Fire. I like to go back and watch some of the classic movies out there. This one was one of the worst things I've ever seen. All the main characters are awful people that can't handle life. It was so boring and unenjoyable for me to watch. Comedies are one of my favorite movie genres, and I managed to watch two this month: Fist Fight and A Bad Moms ChristmasFist Fight wasn't all that funny to me, but I did like the pairing of Ice Cube and Charlie Day. It had its funny moments, ye it was lackluster overall. A Bad Moms Christmas was a huge disappointment considering how much I loved the first one. It was more so depressing than funny. As something marketed as a comedy, that's a huge failure. Half the time it's showing how awful the main characters' relationships with their moms is, and not in a funny way either. I would definitely recommend skipping it. Two more movies that were impressive in their own ways were Dunkirk and Kong Skull Island. Dunkirk was a well-done war movie. I didn't like all of the characters, but overall, it nailed its purpose. I get all the acclaim it got now. Kong Skull Island was really neat. It had a lot of good action, and the fight scenes with King Kong were awesome. The last two are ones that I didn't really care about either way are The Mummy and A Wrinkle In Time. I read A Wrinkle In Time last year for a class and hated it. My biggest gripe with it was the focus on the romantic relationship between two kids. The movie essentially take the same cringey approach. The special effects and scenery were stunning. I liked seeing Oprah, Mindy Kaling, and Reese Witherspoon in it. Other than that, I didn't enjoy much else about it. It was an interesting adaptation of the book. I'm happy I watched it for free instead of going to see it in theaters. The Mummy that I watched is the newer one with Tom Cruise, not the classic one. I wasn't a huge fan of how it ended. Again, it's one of those ones that was just okay. There wasn't much spectacular to it.

That's about it for this month. It was very movie heavy, which I'm more than okay with. I managed to watch lot of newer releases that always interested me. Next month I'm hoping to get through some new movies that Netflix just added, like Thor: Ragnarok and Coco. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment