Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Surefire G2X Pro Thoughts

I've tried a few Surefires now and can see why they're so popular. The G2X Pro is a well-made light that has pretty good performance. I wouldn't want it to be my main EDC light due to the size. However, as a bag or self-defense light, it'd be an awesome option. I say give it a look if you want a light that can take a beating. You can find brighter and smaller lights today if you need something along the lines of an EDC light opposed to this more tactical light. 


It's a bit of a chunky light, yet not as unmanageable to carry as I expected. It uses two CR123 batteries and comes in at 5.2" long. A slight bummer with the G2X Pro is that you can't use an 18650 battery with it. I like that Surefire used polymer instead of the typical aluminum used in most flashlights. This desert tan is an interesting color, and there are some others, like black, foliage green or yellow, that may be more your cup of tea. These go for about $65 which seems fair for what you're getting. The quality was great, and I liked the extra cutouts along the body. I didn't mind there was no clip as I'd never carry it on my person. Despite the lack of clip, the light didn't roll around that easily since it wasn't perfectly round.


This light is relatively simple with two modes: high (320 lumens for 2.75 hours) and low (15 lumens for 45 hours). The beam had a yellowish tint to it and was more hotspot than flood. I was happy enough with the output and performance. 300 plus lumens is more than bright enough for day-to-day stuff.


The clicky is great! I like the rubberized texture, and the fact that you can do momentary on. It's a bummer there's no mode memory, though with only two modes, it's not that big of a deal. For the UI, you click once to turn it on to low, and then turn it off/on again to get to high. I also liked that you could do half presses once the light was on to change the modes. The UI was very easy to use and perfect in my eyes.

I enjoyed the light but wouldn't ever carry it because of the size. If I need that many lumens, I might as well get a smaller light that's easy for me to carry. The design is cool and if you need something more tactical that will last, this is probably a good bet. Check it out if it interests you. I believe there's a newer version now that does 600 lumens which is crazy. I had this one on loan last year and was happy I got the chance to try it out. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Hey just wanted to thank you for your YouTube channel. I recently got "into" knives (the last 6 months) and have been enjoying the many YT channels devoted to the subject, including yours. I only have 3 main knives that are pretty typical, and a few I bought many years ago before I knew anything about action, ergonomics, and steel. All this EDC stuff is pretty addicting!

    ReplyDelete