Wednesday, February 27, 2019

What I Watched: February 2019

My TV/movie watching has slowed down a lot this month compared to January. I ended up checking out way too many eBooks and had to rush to finish them all, which at least means I'll have a more substantial reading update for February. I did still manage to watch some good stuff with of course some disappointments in there as well.

Movie wise, my two favorites were A Simple Favor and The Hate U Give. Interestingly enough, both are also books that I thoroughly enjoyed. The first one is all about a mom that goes missing and it follows the drama that ensues. It had two of my favorite actresses in it, Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively, who I think played their respective roles very well. It stayed true to a lot of what was in the book yet had some twists that I didn't see coming. I highly recommend it! The second one is based off a YA novel about a black teenager who sees her unarmed friend get shot by the police and the aftermath/search for justice. It's especially relevant these days and nice to see different types of movies in Hollywood for a change. Two others I watched were The Shallows and Goosebumps 2. I loved Goosebumps from a few years ago, but this sequel didn't follow the same cast of characters. They were so incompetent and let the monsters overtake their town without putting up any sort of fight. The Shallows is about a surfer who gets attacked by a shark. It was alright but everything worked out too perfectly with it being fictional and all.

Getting into TV shows, by far my favorite was season 3 of One Day at a Time. It's a Netflix original that follows the life of a Cuban family. It's hilarious, talks about serious issues, and has 30 minute episodes (which makes it go so fast). There's rumors that Netflix is canceling it so I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. One Netflix show that rightfully deserved to get canceled was Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I finished the final half of season 4, and it was utter trash. The show declined so quickly after season 1. Kimmy's character became very cringey, plus I didn't really care about many of the side characters. I'm so happy to be done with it finally. Another lackluster series ending was season 3 of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I liked where season 2 was going but this last season didn't do it for me. The ending was lame and didn't wrap much up in my opinion. It also seemed like the special effects got crappier as the show went on. I'm not sad to be done with this series either. I just started season 2 of The Punisher but don't know if I'm going to like the new direction. I only care about Frank/Karen Page and don't care about any of the new or side characters. I'm honestly not surprised that Netflix has canceled all of their Marvel shows now. They all took huge nosedives after their first season.

Besides finishing The Punisher, I'm not sure what else I'm going to try to watch in March. I'd like to finish all of the Marvel shows Netflix has so that might be my priority. I've got no movies on my radar at the moment, though maybe some interesting new ones will come in at my local library. That's about it for this month. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment