Wednesday, August 30, 2017

What I Read: August 2017

The final month of my summer has finally ended. I really prioritized reading this summer and read a lot of cool, different books. I've read a lot this month, since I knew I wouldn't have as much free time once school started. I read a bunch of real books and graphic novels. I like graphic novels because they're always so short and fast paced that I can just blow right through them. I've also checked out a lot of interesting books from the library, so those have been fun to read. This month I've read 28 books and that puts me at 101 for the year. Keep in mind 13 of those were graphic novels, while all the rest were actual books. I've hit 100 books for the year which is awesome! I'm not sure what my next goal should be, so I think I'll just keep reading lots of stuff and see how many I can get to before the end of 2017.

One graphic novel series I've started is The Walking Dead. I've read the first three volumes and liked them. They're not anything crazy to me, but they are fun to read and it's cool to see how they compare to the show. I stopped watching the show a few episodes into season 7. The show has really gone downhill, and it feels like they're dragging it out. Robert Kirkman is the dude who created The Walking Dead, and he really likes to drag things out too. There's like 20+ volumes of the comics, which is kind of ridiculous to me.

Some of the other graphic novels that I've read are volumes 3 through 6 of Ms. Marvel and volumes 2 and 3 of Paper Girls. I really enjoy both those series, as it's nice to see comics written with girls as the main characters. I recommend both series for sure! I also read book one of Preacher, which is somewhat interesting. It's not my favorite in the world, but I do think I'll continue the series.

Going onto actual books now, probably my favorite book I read this month was Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. I loved the story and all the characters. It was a really fun, adventurous story. I'm excited to read the rest of the ones in the series. Another book I thoroughly enjoyed was To Pixar and Beyond. It's written by a guy who helped bring Pixar to prominence. I grew up watching tons of Pixar stuff, so it was really cool to hear all the struggles of the company and how they overcame them. The author did a really nice job of writing the book in a personal way that really connected with me. I didn't think the ending fit into the rest of the book, but everything else was great.

Let's get into some major letdowns. The first would be The Girl on the Train. I thought the plot was really stupid. I hated the characters and thought the book was really overhyped. It's really not that good. I also really hated The Devil In The White City. I did another review type post with all my thoughts in a separate post, so check that out here if you want to know why I didn't enjoy it either.

Last but not least, let me go through a quick rundown of some stuff I did and didn't enjoy. I loved Dear Ijeawele, Or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions. I enjoyed The Power of HabitGrunt, and Paddle Your Own Canoe, while some "eh" or average books were Dangerous Minds, The Caped Crusade, and Good Clean Fun. I'm on a Nick Offerman kick at the moment and am trying to read all his books. He's hilarious, and his books really showcase his personality. Both Paddle Your Own Canoe and Good Clean Fun are his books. Good Clean Fun is more of a guide to how to do woodworking stuff, so it wasn't as applicable to me, but there were some nice anecdotes. I highly recommend Paddle Your Own Canoe if you're a fan of Nick Offerman at all. That's a wrap for this month. It'll be interesting to see how much I can read in September with school starting back up. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment