Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Benchmade 380 Aller Thoughts

Benchmade doesn't have too many smaller options in their lineup. I was intrigued by the 380 Aller because of how small it was but didn't know how I'd like the friction folder aspect. I was able to check it out on loan for a week or so and wasn't all that impressed. The price tag is high for a less than perfect knife.


The Aller has a simple design that works well for EDC. I like the blue accents on the liners and around the pivot. I don't personally like the look of the knife all that much but it does function as it should. I've never been a huge fan of sheepsfoot blades. This is also one of those multipurpose knives, with a prytip/screwdriver on the end and a bottle opener on the opening tab. I never had a use for those because I already carry a multitool with me everyday. The quality was as impressive as any Benchmade I've tried. 


The blade is 1.6" long, and the steel is CPM-S30V. It was more than sharp enough for my needs. With a blade this small, I'd only use it for lighter tasks in more of a backup role. Especially paired with the fact that it's a friction folder, this knife obviously isn't meant for hardcore tasks. It's still a solid knife despite there being no lock. The choil is a little deeper so you wouldn't have to worry about the blade closing on your fingers.


The G10 scales are okay but not my favorite. They've got some cutouts in them which are more for design than adding extra grip. The texture of the G10 itself is pretty smooth. I find the black scales boring and would've liked to see some sort of color besides just the blue accents. Also, I thought the opening tab stuck out too far and was too pointy. When carrying it in the waistband, it dug into me more than I would've liked. It was easy to open and close one-handed which was an initial concern of mine. I tried a Kershaw Pub last year and found it to be awkward to open. I thought the Aller would fall to the same fate but luckily that was not the case.


The boxy design of the handle causes the ergos to suffer. Normally I can fit a four-finger grip on a knife in this size range, but this one was more of a two and a half to three-finger knife. The edges of the handles are not rounded either which makes the handles feel even more squared off. The ergos were probably my least favorite thing about the knife.


The clip is much wider than a typical clip because Benchmade designed it to be used as a money clip. I don't like it at all and probably would've taken it off completely if I had owned this knife.

I couldn't imagine paying $136 for this knife. The quality is there, yet the materials (just G10 and CPM-S30V) aren't that high end in my opinion. Benchmade always charges a premium though, so the price is in line with what they charge for their other knives. 

I've never been into friction folders and the same goes for the Aller. It's nice to finally see Benchmade do some smaller knives but this is not the one. The ergos are lacking, the clip sucks, and the price is high for what you're getting. If you're looking for a knife in this size range, the Spyderco Ladybug is far superior. Save your money and pick up something better instead. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment