Saturday, June 22, 2019

Multitool Collection Update 2019!

My 2019 collection updates continue with my multitools. For the most part, this aspect of my gear collection has stayed pretty constant. I don't use multitools all that often, and there aren't too many innovative ones coming out. I rarely need plier-based multitools so Victorinoxs are the ones I typically reach for the most and what my collection primarily consists of.


Along with the typical Leatherman/Victorinox/Wenger multitools I have, I also threw in my one piece multitools (OPMTs) and a CRKT Eat'n Tool. Starting at the top row after the Eat'n Tool is my larger multitools, like the Victorinox Alox Pioneer, Wenger EvoGrip S11, Victorix Alox Bantam, mini pry bar, and Gerber Shard. The Shard is by far the best OPMT I've tried and is a great deal at only $5. The Pioneer and Wenger are my two favorite larger tools, and I love both of their colors. They're still compact enough to carry in my EDC pouch without weighing it down too much.

The second row is the smaller keychain sized tools I have: the Leatherman Squirt P4, Victorinox Classic, Victorinox Alox Classic, Victorinox Midnite Manager, Victorinox Alox Minichamp, and CRKT Snailor Compact. If you couldn't tell, I love the 58mm Victorinoxs. They're the perfect size for a keychain or to slip loose in the pocket. The only Leatherman I currently own is the Squirt P4 which has remained my favorite plier-based multitool over the years. I prefer it over the newer PS4, since the finish feels nicer to me and it doesn't have Leatherman's crappy scissors. One of the reasons I always stick with Victorinox is due to how great their scissors are. They cut better than any other multitool scissors I've tried, getting very precise cuts thanks to how thin they are. The Classic is my favorite 58mm tool and multitool in general, and I always have one on me either on my keys or in my EDC pouch. I still haven't carried the Midnite Manager or Minichamp much but like how they offer different toolsets than the bare bones Classic. The Snailor is a cute little keychain bottle opener that I've mostly kept around for its design. I don't drink so I never find myself needing a bottle opener.


And of course I left out one of my cooler Victorinoxs which I believe is called the Adventurer. It stays in my hiking bag the majortiy of the time. It's the largest multitool I own and has a locking blade unlike any of the other multitools I've got. The camouflage pattern looks awesome as well! 

That about wraps it up. I'm not as interested in multitools as I used to be when I first got into EDC. Victorinox makes the superior multitools in my opinion with a tool for everybody. I've never had any luck with Gerber's quality, and Leatherman focuses mainly on plier-based tools. There's a couple Victorinoxs I want to check out, but other than that, I don't see my collection changing much in the next year or so. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. What do you think about the leatherman T4 and K2? Seems like they have useful tools and include a pocket clip, and no pliers!

    ReplyDelete