Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Microtech UTX-70 Spartan Thoughts

After loving the Kershaw Launch 4 so much, I've been on the hunt for other small autos. I've never tried an OTF before and have always heard that Microtech does some of the best ones. The UTX-70 has been been on my list to try for a while, but they're usually out of stock. After snagging one in April, I'll end up sticking with my Launch 4. The UTX-70 just doesn't have the same charm or appeal to me.


Design wise, this is your standard Microtech. It's a clean looking knife, though I do find the black scales to be boring. They've done all sorts of different varieties of colors and blade shapes over the years. It's much easier to find the UTX-85s in various colors for whatever reason. I'm not sure why Microtech makes these so hard to buy. This particular version is the Spartan which has a double edged tanto blade. The quality is impressive and is on par with how much you're paying. It's nice to support a USA made company as well. 


Getting onto the blade, like I mentioned this one is double edged. I've never tried a double edged knife and don't care for it all that much. I don't find it necessary and am always afraid I'll somehow cut myself on the extra edge. The steel is CTS-204P which I've never tried before. I don't care about having the highest end steel and have been more than happy with the performance. It's a nice size for EDC too, coming in at 2.41" long. That doesn't make it CA legal like the Launch 4, though they do have a CA legal version if that's a necessity for you. Most states have stricter laws regarding autos anyways so definitely be wary of that.


I've only ever tried push button autos before, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the OTF action. Getting the blade out is quick and easy, but the same cannot be said about trying to retract the blade. Either I'm just weak or mine still needs to be broken in, because I have to use two hands to slide the blade back in. The slide was designed well, with good texturing and a ramp-like shape that helps you get a good grip on it. It's a solid knife, and I've never worried that it's unsafe.


There's not much going on with the handle. It's a simple, rectangular shape (coming in at 3.22" long) with some contouring throughout. The edges of the handles could benefit from a bit more rounding in my opinion. I love the look of the Microtech logo too. Like I mentioned at the beginning, I wish these were easy to find in other colors. The black doesn't do it for me. These do have specialty hardware, so you can't take the knife apart unless you have the tool. That's probably for the best, because it'd be easy to screw up if you took it apart. I've heard Microtech has good customer service in case you do end up having problems.


The ergos are alright but not my favorite in the world. I can fit a full four-finger grip, though I can't find a natural place to rest my thumb. I'd want to rest it on the blade but I can't do that since this one is double edged. The rectangular handle does feel boxier than I'd like due to no rounded edges. Again, it just doesn't feel as good in the hand as my Launch 4.


I've got no complaints about the clip. It works exactly as it should. There's even a glassbreaker on the end of the knife. I'd probably never use it, but I guess it's nice that it's there. This is one of the few knives where I'd tolerate tip-down carry, since your thumb will be closer to slide when getting it out of the pocket.

These went for $221 which seems fair enough for what you're getting. I'm sure there's a lot of detail that goes into getting the action right. Plus, you are supporting an American made company. If you're interesting in picking one up, you have to be patient and jump on them as soon as they're up for sale. They usually go out of stock the same day which is kind of annoying.

This is a nice enough knife, but unfortunately doesn't compare to the Launch 4 that I love so much. Ultimately, I think I prefer push button autos over OTFs. It's still a well-done knife, though isn't perfect ergos wise and is much stiffer than I expected. If you're looking for an OTF, Microtech has the market locked down and puts out high quality knives. For EDC, it might not be the best option if your state has stricter knife laws. It's not as great as I was expecting considering they sell out like hot cakes. I say skip it and spend your money elsewhere. Thanks for looking!

6 comments: