Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Kershaw Launch 4 Thoughts

I picked this knife up on a whim during Blade HQ's Black Friday sale. This is my first automatic knife, so I didn't know what to expect from it. I've always hated Kershaw's spring assisted knives and figured an auto would be more of the same. Honestly, I'm blown away with how cool the auto mechanism is. I normally shy away from Kershaw as a brand, but this is Launch 4 is a knife I can wholeheartedly recommend.


The blade shape is very nice and practical. It has functioned quite well during all the EDC tasks I've thrown at it. I dig the blacked-out blade. Combined with the purple handles, the black blade looks sick. One of the huge reasons I picked this knife up in the first place was because of the color way. I haven't had any issues with the coating chipping or scratching yet. The blade comes in just under 2", which makes it a California legal automatic. I love my small blades, so this knife is right up my alley. It's a perfect size as a backup EDC blade. The steel on this thing is CPM 154. It's a great steel that's been sharp and held its edge perfectly. I can't think of any huge issues I've had with the blade.


The handle is awesome as well. I didn't think I'd like the more boxy handle, but it's actually surprisingly comfortable in the hand. I typically hate metal handles as well, yet these aluminum handles are also super nice. The edges are rounded off, so there are no hotspots anywhere on the handle. I can fit a full four finger grip on it. There's no jimping anywhere on the knife, but I don't think it's even necessary. I love how Kershaw pumped this knife out in so many different colors. You can get anything from the sweet purple to black, blue, green, etc. If this knife is too small for you, the whole Launch line ranges in size from larger ones to this as the smallest option.

The lock is very cool. This is a button auto and utilizes the plunge lock. The lockup has been solid. I had concerns that I'd accidentally press the button when I was carrying it, but it's never once been an issue. The button takes a decent bit of pressure to push. It is possible to close this knife one-handed. This knife fires very hard and quickly. I like the sound it makes when it opens. I wouldn't say it's necessary or any faster than a typical EDC folder. It is cool to have something different in my collection though.


The Launch 4 carries well. I dig that the clip isn't a deep carry one. It's a simple clip that doesn't carry the deepest. There's probably about half an inch that sticks out when it's clipped to the pocket. I don't really mind it doesn't carry the deepest, as it helps to have a bit to grab onto when you're pulling it out of the pocket. It's got nice retention, and I don't really notice the knife when I carry it thanks to how light and small it is. The clip does have the same black finish as the blade, which looks sick.

Price wise, these go for $75 on Blade HQ. You can find them on sales occasionally and maybe cheaper on other sites. I do think that's a pretty fair price. The steel is better than most of your average budget steels. This is a USA made knife too, so you know you're getting a quality blade. I think autos normally run a bit more as well. I'd definitely pay $75 for this knife.

I'd highly recommend this Launch 4. It's a small blade that's super cool. I really can't think of any issues I've got with it. The ergos, steel, quality, and size are perfect for me. I love my small and purple blades, so this one fits right in with my collection. I wasn't sure how I'd like carrying an auto, but it's been very enjoyable. I love the design so much too. The symmetry is appealing to the eyes. If this knife looks too small for you, check out the rest of the Launch line. Kershaw has this line with blades as big as 3.75" I believe. I give Kershaw huge props for creating this knife. It's been one of my favorite blades in my collection as of lately. Give them a look if you're into autos. Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful article. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Thank you so much.

    Automatic knives

    ReplyDelete