Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Spyderco Spin Review

I thought I'd like the Spyderco Spin since it's so small. Unfortunately, it's a piece of crap thanks to some horrible ergonomics. I don't recommend it in the slightest.


I absolutely love the blade shape on the Spin. I'm a sucker for wharncliffes, and this one is no exception. The blade steel is VG-10. I love VG-10 as it holds a nice edge and retains that edge decently well. The thumb hole helps to easily open it. I've got no issues with the blade at all.


Like I said at the beginning, the ergonomics are horrible. It's a two-finger knife, but I've found there's a lot of wasted space on the handle. I hate knives with dedicated finger grooves, as if your fingers don't fit them perfectly, your fingers get spread out too wide. I wish Spyderco had made the handle more flowing, so it'd fit a three-finger grip. The handle material on this version is the Nishijin, which is fine. It's very smooth and sort of reminds me of stainless steel. I like it better than stainless steel, and the color is very cool too. This is a classier looking knife, and with that, it's got no jimping anywhere. I like that a lot and don't think this knife is missing out with no jimping.

The framelock has solid lockup. There's no issues with blade play.


This knife does carry well with the clip. It's a smaller clip and has nice retention. Since the knife is so light, I don't really notice that I'm carrying it.

These have been long discontinued by Spyderco. I can see why, since this is a terrible knife. They went for around $70 I believe, which is a complete rip-off. I would never pay that much for these horrible ergonomics.

Don't buy this knife at all. It's a piece of crap and probably one of the worst Spydercos I've ever bought. I like the size, but those handles need some work. If you're looking for a classier and slim backup blade, check out the Spyderco Cricket instead. That's a much better knife than this one. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment