Sunday, July 2, 2017

Boker DW-1 & DW-2 Review

These two Bokers, the DW-1 and DW-2, were released earlier this year. I instantly had to pick them up because of their size. Not a lot of companies make knives that small, so I figured they were worth a shot. The materials and designs aren't particularly fancy, but I do think at least one of them would make a decent backup EDC knife.


I've had issues with Boker's quality in the past, but these two blades are absolutely perfect quality wise. The fit and finish is surprisingly nice for the price you pay, about $20 for each. The action is very smooth too.

Design wise, these are pretty average knives. Nothing stands out about them at all. The designs are extremely functional for EDC and look pretty nice in my opinion.


The blades are simple and have AUS-8 as their steel. Both blades cut everything I've needed them to cut extremely well. They came surprisingly sharp right out of the box. The DW-1 has a 1" blade, while the DW-2 has a 1.5" blade. I do think the DW-1 is more for novelty. The tiny blade can still cut things, but the handle size really hinders how you can use it effectively. The DW-2's blade is the perfect size for a backup EDC blade. It's around the same size overall as the Spyderco Ladybug. I do have some trouble opening both blades with the thumbstuds. There is no cutout in the handle to help you access the thumbstuds. It's almost easier to just open the blades two-handed. I can manage to open the DW-2 one-handed, but the DW-1 is almost impossible. There is some nice jimping on the spine of the blade that helps you get some more grip.


The handles are pretty average too. They're a plastic type of material that has textured and smooth areas. I don't necessarily like how there's the smooth areas where you fingers would rest. It still feels fine in the hand, but I don't think it was entirely necessary to do. The ergonomics are kind of iffy on both. The DW-2 can fit two to three fingers. It was probably meant for two fingers as three feels cramped and uncomfortable. The placement of the dedicated finger groove doesn't really work for me as my hands are too small to fill out nicely. I wish the handle was more flowing instead so you could easily fit three fingers comfortably. The handle is practically the same size as the Ladybug, so it could have easily had a three finger grip. The DW-1 can fit two fingers. I find the more squared off handle of the DW-1 to be more comfortable than the DW-2's handle. Since both blades are two finger knives for me, I'd rather have the DW-1 handle since there isn't so much wasted space. Despite the DW-1 being so tiny, I definitely think it has better ergos of the two. I absolutely hate how the handle scales are black. They're just so boring.

Lockup on both is extremely solid. They're stainless steel framelocks. I haven't had any issues with the locks. The framelocks were pretty difficult to disengage at first, but they have worn in over time.


Both knives do have pocket clips, which is surprising on knives this small. The DW-2's clip is much better in my opinion, since it's got better retention. For some reason, the clip on the DW-1 is insanely tight and is hard to get clipped onto any thickness of fabric. They're the same clips, just scaled down on the DW-1. They are a little big in my opinion, but they do their job just fine.

Price wise, the DW-1 goes for about $20 on Blade HQ, while the DW-2 goes for $22. I wouldn't say the DW-1 is the best value in the world. I do think the DW-2 is reasonably priced, considering the Ladybug goes for around $35 and is a similarly sized knife that has better steel. Like I mentioned earlier, the DW-1 is more of a novelty piece. I don't think it'd be that practical for EDC usage, so I don't see the purpose of paying $20 for it.

All in all, if you're looking for a smaller backup blade that has a pocketclip, the DW-2 could be the blade for you. I don't love it as much as I love my Ladybug, but I do think it's a nice, small option. It's hard to find quality blades in the Ladybug's size range. The DW-2 is not the most exciting knife in the world, yet it is one that is super practical. My biggest issue with it would have to be the ergos and the boring black handles. If you have slightly larger hands than me, I think it'd fit in your hand a lot better. The DW-1 does not get my recommendation at all. For purely EDC usage, it makes no sense to pick it up. A 1" blade can only handle so much, so you might as well go with the 1.5" blade. I do give Boker props for making some more small knives. Give the DW-2 a look if it interests you. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment