Thursday, November 30, 2017

What I Read: November 2017

The second to last month of the year is over. I'm happy that 2018 is almost here. I managed to read quite a bit in November. This year has been a very good reading year for me, because I'm finally making it a priority. I'm not wasting as much time on the internet. I will say I'm not spending as much time on my other hobbies, which kind of sucks, so I definitely think my reading will scale back next year. At this point, I just want to see how many books I can read in a year. With 33 of books read this month, my total so far is 177. I'm hoping to hit 200 by the end of 2017, which I do think I can pull off. November has definitely been my most productive month reading wise.

My favorite book this month was Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham. I rated it 5/5 stars. She was one of the main actors in Gilmore Girls, which is one of my favorite shows. I finally finished the show and the reboot they did recently this summer. In this book, she talks all about filming Gilmore Girls, the reboot, and everything in between. I learned a lot of cool things about her life that I didn't know. I listened to audiobook version that Lauren Graham narrated. It was so good! Celebrity-narrated audiobooks are among one of the reasons I started listening to audiobooks. I definitely recommend this book!

I also really enjoyed The Woman In Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. It was a really cool mystery/thriller that had a different plot than what I expected. I also rated this one 5/5 stars.

Moving on to some great but not amazing books. The following will all be ones that I rated 4/5 stars. I listened to Hunger by Roxane Gay. This was a memoir about a woman's experience with her body and how things that have happened in her life have affected her. It was a very honest and real look at how sexual assault can change your life. It's particularly relevant with all the men getting exposed for sexual assault right now. I also listened to Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. This was all about saying yes to things even if you are an introvert and nervous. It was very funny and offered some good tips throughout. Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar is a fantastic insight into how corrupt Wall Street is. I don't wanna make this post too long, so here's a quick list of some other good ones I read: Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil, Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, and Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher.

I'm still chugging along with The Walking Dead graphic novels. I finished volumes 12 through 17 this month. As I keep mentioning, they're not anything special, but I do like to see the similarities and the differences with the show.

Last but not least, here's some mediocre (3/5 stars) and disappointing reads (2/5 stars). The mediocre ones were A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, and Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. Two disappointing ones were Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut and Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. Here's to finishing out 2017 strong! It'll be interesting to see how many I can finish before January 1st. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to recommend One Second After.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Second_After

    Another one is The Dog Stars
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_Stars

    And Patriots
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots_(novel_series)

    Patriots is paticularly good as it seems to do the best job incorporating the prepper lifestyle into a real life scenario.. in a very realistic story.

    One Second After does a superb job at showing just how quickly life changes in the event of an EMP.. very realistic. Lots of good examples on prepping, self defense, etc.

    The Dog Stars is similar.. set in a time many years after some sort of catastrophic plague.. facinating look at the importance of reliance on others.

    I could not put these books down.

    Patriots is a series of three or 4 books.

    One second After has one follow-up.


    ReplyDelete