Saturday, May 26, 2018

Recent Library Pickups #1

I recently went to the library and picked up some stuff to read and watch. I always end up checking out way more than I planned, but that's all the fun of the library. I thought it'd be cool to start showing some of the stuff I've checked out over the course of the summer.


I did get one movie, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. I requested a ton of recent releases, so I'm hoping they all come in this summer. I liked it but didn't love it. I liked the main cast, but the teen versions of them weren't the best. Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, and Jack Black made for a nice trio. It was funny at parts, and the plot was cool overall. I've only seen bits and pieces of the original Jumanji, so I can't speak to how the two compare. I wouldn't have paid to see it in theaters, ye it was a nice use of two hours of my night. 

I picked up two YA books that I found in the new release section, Tyler Johnson Was Here by Jay Coles and Down and Across by Arvin Ahmadi. I do read a bit of YA to help lighten up the Adult fiction and nonfiction I read. I feel like I can still relate to some of it, but I know that won't be the case in a few years. I already started Tyler Johnson Was Here and think it's just average so far. My biggest complaint against it is the cheesy dialogue. It's not how real teens talk at all. That's usually a big issue with the YA I read. It covers the issue of police brutality against unarmed black teens. It reminds me of the guy version of The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas, which I read last year and enjoyed. I don't think I'll end up loving it, but it does offer a new perspective which is normally absent in YA fiction. I don't know much about Down and Across. The synopsis looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a try. I believe it's about a high schooler that is going through the struggle of applying to college and the stress of not knowing what he wants to do with his life.

I checked out one graphic novel, SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki. I've heard a lot of good things about it. The art looks cool from what I've glanced at so far. I don't know much of what it's about. That's usually how I like to go into a book. Having unrealistic expectations is always a huge disappointment for me.

The rest of what I checked out is all adult books. They are Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann, American War by Omar El Akkad, and Good As Gone by Amy Gentry. The first two have been on my list to read for a while, so I'm excited to finally get to read them. Killers of the Flower Moon is a true crime about these wealthy people in the U.S. with ties to oil that get murdered. American War is set in a near-future America where a second Civil War is taking place over fossil fuels. It follows this family and keeps up with their struggles during the war apparently. I've heard great things about both. Good As Gone stood out to me because of the crazy colors. It sounds like it's suspenseful, and they said people that liked Gone Girl should enjoy it. The basic plot seems to based around this girl that gets kidnapped and comes back many years later. It says her mother doesn't believe her story entirely, so I'm assuming the book unwraps what really happened. It'll be interesting to see what I think of it, because I've never heard of it before. These will be included in my monthly wrap-ups depending on when I finish them. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment