Wednesday, May 30, 2018

What I Watched: May 2018

Hey everyone! Now that summer is finally here for me, I've had a lot more free time to spend on things I actually care about. The first things I've done so far is catch up on some TV shows and movies that I've been wanting to watch. TV shows are my big priority this summer, as I've got quite an expansive list of ones I want to finish. There's so many good Netflix originals coming out along with current and older shows. I'll talk about TV shows first and then get into movies.

The first show I caught up on is Jessica Jones. I finished season 2 towards the middle of the month and really enjoyed it. It didn't seem as action-packed as the first, which I didn't think I'd like at first. I ended up loving the direction it went. This season turned me against some of the characters that were my favorites in season 1. It'll be interesting to see where they take it next. Another Netflix original I ended up falling in love with is One Day At A Time. I finished the majority of the first and second season in a matter of days. It basically just follows the life of this Cuban-American family that lives in LA. It's nice to see a diverse cast for a change. It's a very funny and heart-warming show. I love the family dynamics. The grandmother is probably my favorite character. I'm bummed that the next season doesn't come out until 2019. I also finally started Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I had seen a few episodes here and there a while ago, but I've never managed to actually start the show. I finished season 1 and loved it too. The cast is also diverse, and they're all so funny. I love shows about cops, so I'm excited to keep watching. It was just trending all over the internet thanks to Fox canceling it. Luckily, NBC picked it up, so it lives on for now. I try not to watch as many current shows, since I usually can't watch them on TV when they originally air. The apps for TV networks have become pretty good, so this isn't as big of an issue for me anymore. On the NBC app, I've been watching Good Girls season 1 and A.P. Bio season 1. I loved Good Girls and am excited to see season 2 whenever it comes out. I love the premise of it, and the three main actresses are great. A.P. Bio is entertaining as well. The students are my favorite part about that show. As far as what I'm hoping to watch in June, I just started Runaways on Hulu. I've loved what I've read in that graphic novel series thus far, so I'm excited to see how the show compares. I got a trial of Hulu for free with my Spotify subscription and just realized that it expires in a couple months. There's a few Hulu originals or exclusives I've been wanting to watch, like Runaways and Scream Queens. Those are going to be my bigger priorities throughout the rest of the summer. I just hate Hulu, since their excessive ads throughout the shows are so annoying.

I haven't been enjoying the movies I've seen as much the shows I just talked about. There's been a lot of mediocre ones that probably aren't worth me mentioning. My favorite movie I saw in May is Black Panther. I'm kind of late on the bandwagon for this one, but my hold for it finally came in at the library. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I didn't like Wonder Woman all that much and thought this one would suffer the same fate. Wonder Woman forced the romance way too much. Black Panther was great though. I liked that the main women were all bad asses and not just there for show. The action was great and not too over the top. I loved all the actors. It was very well done overall. I was worried that it would be too long, but I didn't feel that way at all. If you're into Marvel, it's a must-see movie for sure. I also saw Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. I didn't like this one all that much. It was okay. I liked Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart's characters the most. It had some good music in it too. The last movie I'll mention here is Ingrid Goes West. I mostly wanted to see this one since Aubrey Plaza is the main actress. I loved her in Parks and Recreations, so I thought I'd enjoy this movie. I didn't love it. It was a stupid plot and wasn't that funny to me. I think my expectations were too high. I didn't know what to expect either, so that probably didn't help. I wouldn't recommend seeing it. That's it for May. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment