Sunday, January 13, 2019

My Thoughts On Spyderco's First Product Reveal Of 2019!

I've talked before about how I'm bored of Spyderco's current direction and not as impressed with them as a company as I previously had been. For me, I just didn't see a lot of innovation and their rising prices didn't help either. However, they just announced some of their new knives for the beginning of 2019, and there are a few that have me intrigued. I think I just found out what my first new knife of 2019 will be. 


I didn't know a Para 3 LW was something that I needed until I saw it on the cover of this Product Reveal. I absolutely hated the PM2 and wasn't that excited about the Para 3 when it was released last year. Now, my opinions have swayed a bit. One of my big issues with the PM2 was the weird blade-to-ratio which the Para 3 definitely improved on. It's not perfect, but at least the blade size of the Para 3 is more up my alley. Another thing I hated about the PM2 is the G10 scales. G10 and titanium have become the two primary handle materials on knives these days, and I honestly don't like either all that much. I'd rather have plastic scales for their ability to keep a knife light, the extra grip (especially with FRN), and a better range of color options. Spyderco's FRN is by far my favorite handle material, and it's awesome to see them expanding their lightweight lineup. The Native 5 LW was one of my favorite mid-sized options a couple years ago.

So besides the FRN scales, the other awesome part about this Para 3 is the wire clip. That's my favorite clip of so I'm happy to see Spyderco use it on this knife. I'm hoping Spyderco does these in all sorts of colors, but if the black is the only version released initially, I'll probably still pick it up and trade/sell it later if other colors become available. I'm very excited to check it out! Hopefully it comes out sooner rather than later. This is one of the first new releases in a while that I've actually been interested in. Let's hope it holds up to the hype. My Rat 2 needs another mid-sized buddy. Oh and the price looks great too. One site had them listed for $91 which seems fair for CTS-BD1N and the FRN scales.


The only other knife from this reveal that potentially interested me was the Meerkat sprint run. I don't necessarily care for the special steel, but I have always wanted to try out a Meerkat. I love small knives, and the Phantom lock would be fun to try out. This one isn't necessarily a day 1 purchase for me like the Para 3, yet I might be tempted if I can sell off some of my collection in time for its release. I'm not sure on exact timeframes for releases of any of the knives in the reveal, though Spyderco says 90-120 days is realistic. If you didn't check out the reveal already, here's a link to it. Maybe this is the year Spyderco ropes me back in. Are you excited about any of the knives they announced? I think this was a great start to the year for Spyderco. I'm excited to see what else they have up their sleeves! Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. I would like the Ikuchi. That way, if somebody sees it and says, "Ikuchi?", I would respond by saying, "Gesundheit!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now your scaring me Ally. How much in most cases were thinking alike. After typing my response to your assessment of CRKT "Pilar" the, I went to Knife Center and where as I'm not going for the PM3, the "Meerkat" is making my brain itch, and I want to get one bad.... and then you post this. with the limited run let's hope we're successful in obtaining one.

    ReplyDelete