Saturday, January 19, 2019

Tried Out Other Self-Defense Options: Stun Gun/Collapsible Baton

Since I'm not yet 21, I have to stick to non-lethal options when it comes to self-defense in my EDC. For the longest time, I've only carried pepper spray as a regular part of my EDC. I had the opportunity to try out a stun gun and collapsible baton for a few months thanks to awesome viewer of mine. I like the stun gun but would never want to carry the baton on a day-to-day basis. I could see myself potentially keeping a baton in my car where weight isn't an issue.


I've been looking for a complement to the pepper spray and think a stun gun fits that role perfectly. It's compact and lightweight enough that I could easily keep it in a bag or jacket pocket. My first instinct in any self-defense situation would be to run, but if someone grabbed me, I'd try use my pepper spray or a stun gun to give myself a few seconds to get away. I didn't get to test it out on anyone, but I watched some videos online and getting one used on you doesn't look like fun. The sound alone is very distinctive. The only downside I see with the particular stun gun I tried is that a little string has to be plugged in for it to work. I'm pretty sure that's a safety feature on most of them though. Let's say somehow the string got yanked out when you're getting it out of your bag. You'd be screwed if you were counting on it as your first option. No self-defense option is completely fool-proof, but I do think the addition of a stun gun in my carry will be a nice peace of mind tool that I'll hopefully never have to use. They're relatively affordable on Amazon too, so that's always a plus.

As far as the collapsible baton goes, it's just way too big and heavy for my carry. The one I tried was cool because it's made of springy coils that give it a lot of flexibility. It would not be a pleasant experience to be beat with one. I'd never want to go hand-to-hand with an attacker which is another reason it's not a viable option for me. It was fun to try but not something that would work in my carry. I think that's about it. Stay tuned for a potential gun purchase this year! I turn 21 in the summer and hope to pick up a handgun in the later half of the year. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment