Thursday, June 29, 2017

What I Read: June 2017

There was no way I'd be able to match the same crazy reading pace I did last month, but I still made some solid progress. I've read 9 books, which puts my total for the year at 57. I made it to 52 books this month! That was my initial goal for the year, so I'll probably bump it up to 100 books now. I've got a lot of books I want to finish, so hopefully trying to read 100 books helps me accomplish that. I checked out a ton of books from my library recently, and I've finally managed to read all of them. Now that I'm done with them, I'll be moving onto all the books that are on my TBR shelf that I talked about in one of my last few posts. Without further ado, let's get into the books I read this month. I thoroughly enjoyed all the books I read this month, so these are all going to be pretty positive thoughts.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
This one was really cool. It's a sci-fi story that follows a solid group of characters as they go through space. It focused on the characters more so than a conflict. There were conflicts, but the big focus was on building the world and the characters. I enjoyed that much more than I thought I would, as all the characters were very lovable to me. I definitely recommend it!

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers
This is the sequel to the book I just mentioned. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. That's mostly because it follows two of the lesser mentioned characters. I did end up liking those two characters by the end of this book. These two characters had a lot of struggles in their upbringing, and this book really touched on how they became the people they were. Lots of short chapters and flashbacks. Recommend this one as well!

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
I love reading memoirs, and this one was really well done. It was super funny and gave a good look into the life of growing up as a child actor. Definitely recommend it!

Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction by Philip E. Tetlock and Dan Gardner
This is a non-fiction book all about superforecasting. It turns out that there are these people that try to predict the likelihood of events happening sometime in the future. It's a very analytical process and actually quite fascinating. I didn't even know it was a thing, but it's apparently used a lot in politics and economics. Super interesting book if you're into non-fiction.

I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual by Luvvie Ajayi
This is another memoir-ish type of book that kind of hates on the worst parts of people. The author makes fun of how much people suck in a super hilarious way. She talks about racism, looks, equality, culture, etc. I really enjoyed her take on society. I totally recommend it!

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
This is a YA book that's pretty relevant today. It's follows a character that had to see her black, unarmed teen friend get shot by the police. It had a strong message and gave me a better look into the mistreatment of black people and the fallout after these shootings happen. It's devastating that we live in a world where this is a reality. I really enjoyed the characters and the way it was written. Great book for sure!

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
This is a story based in World War II that follows a few different perspectives. The main two perspectives were of a teen German soldier and a teen girl that's blind from France. It follows the characters as they grow up in the times of this war. The chapters are very short, but they also jump around in time a lot. It felt kind of disjointed to me and left me confused at times. I did enjoy the overall plot and characters though. This gets my recommendation as well!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
I heard about this through the recommendation of a secretary that works at my dentist. She saw me reading in the waiting room and told me a few recommendations. I had no idea what this was going to be about, but I really loved it. It's a story that's told almost exclusively through letters. I don't normally read books like that, so it was super different and cool. This is also takes place around World War II and focuses on the impact of the German occupation in Guernsey in the English Channel Islands. An author from London is initially trying to write a few articles about reading and comes to know some of the townspeople there through letters. She eventually stays there and becomes included in the town life. She learns about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and how they came about. I really enjoyed hearing all the perspectives of the main person and all the townspeople. It was very cool and different! I highly recommend it.

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
This was an interesting book that followed a fostered teen as she gets to know this older woman who was an orphan. It switches perspectives from the fostered teen to flashbacks of the older woman. The main story is about how the orphan grew up and her journey on the Orphan Train. There actually was an Orphan Train movement back in the day, so it's cool to hear a fictional tale of something that actually happened. It talks all about the struggles of the orphan girl and how that has an impact on her life. I'd highly recommend this one!

So those were all the books I read this month. I'm surprised I enjoyed all of them as much as I did. Normally, I'll ready mostly average books with a few great ones, so I'm happy all these turned out to be great. I definitely recommend you check them all out. If I had to pick a few favorites, they would have to be The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, The Hate U Give, I'm Judging You, and Scrappy Little Nobody. Hope you enjoyed hearing about the books I read this month! Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment