Wednesday, March 7, 2018

My Favorite Flashlight Battery Type

Over the years, I've tried a lot of different flashlights with all sorts of battery types. I've tried AAA, CR123, 2AAA, various rechargeable ones, button cells, etc. Surprisingly, I don't think I've tried a AA light before, so that's on the list to try eventually. I figured it'd be fun to talk about my EDC preferences when it comes to battery types. One specific battery is my favorite of all time, and that would have to be a single AAA light. They are a mix of good performance/output with a slim form factor for EDC. No matter what other battery types I try out, I always come back to my AAA lights.

The AAA battery is the perfect mix of slimness and good performance. You're not going to get the brightest light in the world with them, but they are by far the easiest for me to carry. They're never too long or bulky. I've also tried the 2AAA form factor. It's not my favorite, because of the added length. I like having a 2AAA in my backpack but not ever on my person. You'll usually get better runtimes and max output with the 2AAA, though you're losing the pocketability. AAA batteries are super common too. I picked up some rechargeable Eneloops a few years ago, and I run all my main EDC lights on them. As long as I can get at least a hundred lumens with my AAA lights, I'm happy. You really can't go wrong with a simple AAA. Some of my favorites AAA lights are the Foursevens Preons, Olight i3e, and Thrunite T01.

I hate CR123s because of their stoutness. I like that they're shorter, but that comes at the cost of a thicker light. I've tried a couple different ones, whether they're clicky or twisty, and I've just never enjoyed the form factor. You get much better outputs with them obviously, but again, my EDC is focused on how easy things are for me to carry. I would never want to carry a CR123 light. Most of them are way more tactical than I need.

I'm really impressed with the number of USB rechargeable lights that are coming out these days. It seems like every flashlight company has at least one model that is USB rechargeable. I think the best company for these types of lights is Nitecore. They've got the Tube and TIP, which are both very popular models. The form factor of these lights aren't as convenient as the cylindrical shape of a typical flashlight. They still do carry well, and you have the added convenience of a light that can charge universally anywhere with power. I've seen Fenix putting out a few different rechargeable models, as well as Olight, Mecarmy, etc. If I couldn't carry AAA lights anymore for some reason, I'd switch exclusively to USB rechargeable lights.

I've surprisingly never tried a AA light. There's been a couple that have interested me, but I've never wanted to pull the trigger since I love my AAA lights so much. I'd essentially be getting a better light spec wise, but with a slightly bulkier body. I've gotten into flashlights more heavily this year though, so I'll probably try at least one this year. It's another common battery type that would be neat to add to my rotation or backups. I'll also briefly talk about a few of the button cell lights I've tried. The Streamlight Nano and Speck Spotlight come to mind. They're both very tiny lights that are easy to throw on a keychain. I like them if you need the absolute smallest light out there, but honestly, I'd rather take something a little bigger, like the Tube or a AAA, that has a better battery. The little button cell batteries are a pain to find. Plus, most of those small lights are hard to use one-handed since they are so small. They have their purpose, though there's better options for EDC.

Alrighty, I think I got to everything I wanted to say. Basically, there will always be a special place in my heart for AAA lights. It all started with my love for the Preons, and now I'm kind of obsessed with the battery. They work so well in my carry and are the perfect size. You can't go wrong with a AAA light. What's your favorite flashlight battery type? Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. Agreed fully with you,still searching for that "perfect" light though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you have to do quite a bit of searching to find that perfect light. I've finally found mine in the Preons, but I had to try so many to figure that out. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Well for me, my "Mission Profile" differs considerably. I like AA batteries, for more capacity (run time), and compatibility with more of my other equipment. As For I'm a licensed HAM radio operator of 26 years.

    I have several pieces of radio equipment that use AA as either primary or secondary sources of power. My Hand VHF /UHF radios utilize unified battery packs, but when the "chips are down" and commercial power / or a generator is unavailable then one uses so called "Clam Shells", they can utilize AA Alkaline / Nicad / Ni-Mh batteries to continue operating in a disaster area.


    As long as I have so much as a mini-mart, I can find AA's or AAA's I'm in business.

    The same can't be said for 123's / 18350's / 18650's they are still a little specialized for such places to have them. 123's are a little more available in a department store and hardware store environments, BUT are still $2+ a piece on average. And I've observed a high failure rate out of the box with some notable brands. So I shy away from those.

    But AA's either Alkaline, or Lithium are in my bags. In my disaster bag, I have a modified plastic 50 round (also available in 20 round) cartridge box, meant for .45-70 rifle cartridges. I bought it at a sportswear store and it's produced by MTM-Case-gard.

    The modification entails getting some contact adhesive, and some closed cell packing foam (from some electronics shipping boxes), and I tediously made each of the AA battery slots rattle free, but easy to pullout.

    A .38 / .357 cartridge box will hold AAA's without modification, are available in 50 round box sizes. Granted the 50 round boxes wouldn't be practical for your use, but a 20 round, box for AA's aren't bad.

    My favorite flashlight for AA is the Mini-Maglite 4 mode LED model, it takes 2 AA's has a high, LOW, 1 Blink per second flash, mode and SOS modes..... High output is 100 Lumes and it's plenty for me. It's my woods running and emergency volunteer light.

    The Fenix E05 is the AAA light in my pocket organizer, and is day to day EDC light.

    And the last ditch light is a Photon Micro Freedom multi mode LED squeeze light. Yeah, it take watch batteries either 2016 / 2032 depending on model, and I purchase spares ahead of time, and are kept in a "field tool" bag of mine. They last forever.


    just some of my thoughts on he subject.

    It amazes me that when I was a armed guard the original 4 D mag light out put with xenon bulb was only 98 Lumes and would last only 10 hours, were as the LED Mini-mag matches it for output (but whiter light), and run for 11 hours on high, and 32 on low, and only a 10th of the size, and weight.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting! I still have yet to try a AA light, but I do think they'd be good mix of performance/size. The storage method for your batteries sounds neat. I haven't tried any Maglites yet. I'd like to try one of the smaller ones eventually. I had an E05 a couple years ago and didn't like it much. I like the Preons a lot more design wise. It is crazy to see how far flashlight technology has come. Thanks for the comment Drew!

      Delete