Saturday, April 20, 2019

Benchmade 707 Sequel Thoughts

I've always wanted to try out a Benchmade 707 Sequel and was lucky to find one last year on Instagram for a great deal. It's probably one of my favorite Benchmades I've tried, behind the Mini Griptilian. It's a shame Benchmade discontinued these because it's a solid mid-sized EDC option. 


The simple design works extremely well for EDC. I haven't had any quality issues with it either which is what I've come to expect from Benchmade. 


The Sequel has a 2.95" 154CM blade. That's the perfect size for an EDC knife. I really like 154CM, but it doesn't seem to be the highest end steel anymore. Despite that, this knife has been a great slicer. The thumb stud works as it should but is slightly too close to the handle for me. I usually have to open it slowly with my thumb instead of flicking it. If you want to flick it, you have to be very deliberate about getting your thumb under the thumb stud if you want it to flip cleanly. Since it's such a slim knife in width, I do get that Benchmade only had so much room to work with. I'll take the slimmer knife any day because of how much better they carry.


The handle is perfectly done! It's the perfect length for me as I can fit a full four-finger grip comfortably. The aluminum scales with the G10 inlays look nice and feel good in the hand. There are surprisingly no hotspots anywhere on the knife. I normally don't like any sort of inlays, yet the G10 provides some extra grip without looking crappily done. The aluminum is more of a matte finish that feels like nails on chalkboard if you hit it just right. My only slight complaint is the color since you all know I love my colorful knives. Benchmade did a sweet limited edition blue version in 2017 but now they're ridiculously priced on the secondhand market. The Axis lock is a ton of fun to play with and functions as it should too.


I've got a split arrow clip on here which carries very well. Thanks to how light (2.6 ounces), thin, and slim the knife is, the Sequel carries like a dream. I barely notice it when I carry it in the waistband. 

When these were still being sold, I believe they went for about $140. That's what you normally see Benchmades go for, though I don't think it's an amazing value. You pay a premium for Benchmades so that price was probably in line with their other knives' prices.

The 707 Sequel is a great knife in a compact package. I don't have any major complaints. I wish Benchmade hadn't discontinued them. It reminds me a lot of the Ontario Rat 2, as it seems a lot smaller than it is while you still get a mid-sized blade. It performs very well and has phenomenal ergos. If you manage to track one down, I highly recommend it! Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment