Saturday, April 6, 2019

WE Roxi Thoughts

After hearing so many great things about WE knives, I've finally got my hands on one, the Roxi. I've had this on loan for a few days and while I like the smaller blade length, it'd never be something I'd actually want to carry. It's a smaller knife that carries more like a mid-sized one thanks to a very wide blade and a heavier weight. I'm impressed with the quality and materials. It's just not the knife for me.


The Roxi is a collaboration between WE and Todd Knife & Tool, whom are both companies I've never had any experience with. When you're paying over $200 for a knife, you should expect top notch quality and that's exactly what you get with this knife. The design is visually appealing with the wharncliffe blade, though it doesn't necessarily translate well to my hand. I love the stonewashed finish, and the WE pivot is a nice touch too. There's also an all-blacked out version and a blue/bronze titanium if the stonewashed is a little bland for you.


Getting onto the blade, you're getting a 2.6" M390 blade which I've been impressed with. M390 is a good steel and has performed as well as I'd expect. The wharncliffe blade is perfect for EDC tasks and comes in a nice middle ground size as well. It's not too big and not too small. My biggest gripe with the blade though is how wide it is. It makes it a pain for me to carry in the waistband but I'll get to that a little later. The Roxi does run on a ceramic ball bearing pivot though the action isn't the best in the world. You have to get a good amount of pressure on the flipper tab or you'll just get crummy half flips. I usually just throw a ton of wrist action at it since it doesn't fire all that hard. The flipper tab itself is a nice size and has good placement, but the action is on the weaker side for whatever reason. It kind of surprises me for a $200+ knife.


The handle leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. It's a nice size for my smaller hands (I can fit a full four-finger grip with the choil), yet it feels very boxy towards the end of the knife. The edges of the handles aren't rounded, so everything feels very squared off/blocky. The titanium scales are fine but not my absolute favorite. There is jimping along the spine of the knife that helps with grip. The framelock is solid with no blade play in any direction.


With the wider width and heavier weight (3.81 ounces), this isn't one of my favorite knives to carry. Wider knives always dig into me more in the waistband, and this one is unfortunately no exception. The clip is good and has some interesting cutouts on it too. It is only right-hand tip-up which works for me.


The Roxi goes for $242 on Blade HQ which I couldn't personally see myself spending on a less than perfect knife. You're getting nicer materials with the M390/titanium handles though that's pretty standard in any $100+ knife. Even if I liked the knife, I think $242 is kind of a stretch but that's just me. It is neat that it comes in a zippered pouch with a cleaning cloth.


Ultimately this knife just isn't my cup of tea since I hate chunky knives. I get why people love WE so much, but if you're like me and aren't into the titanium craze, there's so many better knives out there. I'm happy I got to try it, though I won't miss it once it leaves my hands. It's at least nice to see that WE did a smaller knife, even if it doesn't really carry like a small knife. Thanks for looking!

1 comment: