Wednesday, May 22, 2019

CRKT Ritter Thoughts

I love small knives, so it was only natural that I try out this CRKT Ritter at some point. When I was first getting into EDC, I used to be really into the idea of Altoids survival tins. This knife was featured in quite a few of those kits. I question the idea of using a knife like this for more extreme bushcrafty type stuff, so this post is from an EDC perspective.


Like the name implies, this is designed by Doug Ritter. It's not anything fancy by any means, but the simplest designs always seem to be the best for EDC. I love the stonewash finish. It's a cheaper knife (no more than $15) which I thought would coincide with poorer quality. I haven't had a single problem with this knife.


The knife itself is 3.825" overall with a 1.75" blade. It's a cute size yet not one that I'd consider to be the most usable. The handle fits a two-finger grip which isn't that comfortable. On paper, the curves look like a good idea, though they don't allow me to get a solid grip on the knife. It wobbles a lot in my hand which could have been corrected if the handle was straighter/boxier. The steel isn't that impressive, 3Cr13MoV, but then again, what would you expect from a budget knife? From an actual usage perspective, this would not be my first choice.


The plastic sheath is well-done and has good retention. I could see this being a better neck knife due to how thin the knife and sheath are as a whole. It's also crazy lightweight coming in at 0.9 ounces.


An additional plus is that the knife comes with this sweet Altoids sized tin that you could build your own survival kit with. For a cheaper knife, it's nice to see this level of detail.

Overall, I wasn't blown away by this knife and wouldn't want to have it as one of my serious EDC options. It was fun to try and more of a novelty piece in my eyes. If you like the look of it, I say check it out since it's not going to break the bank. It's probably one of the few production fixed blades in this size range. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment