Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Sanrenmu WA631 Multitool Thoughts

I've heard of Sanrenmu's knives yet I never knew they did multitools as well. This is the WA631 which is also the same as Ruike's S31 multitool. I believe Sanrenmu owns Ruike, so it's the same tool just with different branding. If you like the concept, it's easier to find the Ruike found on Amazon for about $20. It's nice to see companies other than Leatherman/Gerber/Victorinox making multitools. 


I've been impressed with the quality of this tool. It's far better than all of the Gerber multitools I've tried. You can take it apart with torx screws which is nice to see. The size is perfect for EDC, coming in at 2.75" closed. It'd be nice to throw loose in a pocket or keep in a bag. The design is simple and very functional. The G10 scales are a nice change of pace from the typical plastic or metal scales. They have some good texture to them and feel good in the hand. I do wish they came in some sort of color. Some of the other Ruike multitools come in green G10 which I would've personally preferred. 


It's easy to access all of the tools with the nail nicks. It doesn't take that much pressure to close the knife, though I wouldn't be concerned about it accidentally closing on your fingers. I'd only use the knife for lighter tasks anyways. There's no half-stops on any of the tools, but again, I don't think it's necessary. The ergos are surprisingly good as well, and the tool melts into my hand.


As far as the toolset goes, you get a 2" knife, scissors, and a combo tool that has a screwdriver, bottle opener, and a belt/cord cutter. That's a solid toolset for such a small package. All of the tools work exactly as they should. The blade's steel is 12C27 which I've been impressed with. The scissors are not as good as Victorinox scissors, yet they're at least better than both Leatherman and Gerber scissors. They're a larger size, but due to their thickness, they don't cut as precisely as Victorinox scissors do. The spring looks much sturdier than the little wire spring most other multitools use. The combo tool is fine though I don't get much use out of it. Scissors and a knife are always my top two most used tools on any multitool. 

For about $20, this is a great, smaller tool. I'd probably still opt for my Victorinox Classic as a smaller multitool due to how much better the scissors are. I do recommend it if you want to try something different. Ruike is doing a lot of cool stuff at the moment, and this tool is no exception. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment