Wednesday, May 29, 2019

What I Watched: May 2019

I'm so excited that the summer is finally here since it means I don't have to deal with annoying schoolwork for about three months. May turned out to be a better month for movies than TV shows for me. I did finish one awesome show, but I got more entertainment from the movies I saw.

Starting with TV shows first, I finished season 1 of Dead to Me and absolutely loved it! It's about this woman who's hunting for the hit and run driver that killed her husband. It was a teensy bit predictable, though still hilarious and a different vibe than most shows. What's even better was the fact that the episodes were only 30 minutes. I've mentioned it before but that's my favorite length for shows, because it keeps the show from dragging on. I also finished season 1 of The Umbrella Academy and Elite. That first one is based on a superheroish graphic novel series, while the second one follows some high schoolers and a murder. I liked Elite more overall, just because it didn't feel to drag as much as The Umbrella Academy. They both do have second seasons coming at some point which I'll still probably watch despite not loving either show.

The two movies I was the most excited for were Netflix originals: Knock Down The House and Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. When I heard Netflix was doing a documentary about a few of the women running for the House of Representatives, I was instantly intrigued. It's a change that politics has needed for quite some time, and it was nice to see these women highlighted in such a positive way. It was probably my favorite thing I've watched so far this year. It was a well-done documentary with a great message. Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile is a film about the serial killer Ted Bundy and how some of his crimes unfolded. I thought Zac Efron did a great job playing the part of Bundy. I'm a huge fan of true crime so naturally I expected that I'd like it. I'm a sucker for romance movies and managed to watch a decent few this month, like The Last Summer, The Perfect Date, Someone Great, A Star Is Born, and SPF-18. Of those, the only ones that stood out were The Last Summer and A Star Is Born. I didn't think either one was amazing, but they had a few actors I liked or good music. It was neat to see Lady Gaga act in A Star Is Born since I only know her from her music. I also watched a few random ones that don't deserve any long-winded thoughts, like Empire Records and Where's The Money.

All around, I enjoyed most of what I watch this month. I'm not sure if I'll watch much of anything in June or the rest of the summer for that matter. I just started working full-time for the next couple months and would rather spend whatever free time I have doing other things. We'll see if there's any new releases that catch my eye. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment