Saturday, May 25, 2019

My Largest and Smallest Knives

I was going through my collection and noticed that the difference between my largest and smallest knives was quite drastic. My largest knife ended up being the Rat 1 with a 3.625" blade, while my smallest knife was the Rike Hummingbird with a 1.5" blade. I've since sold both of these, so I ought to see what the two extremes are now.

Neither of these sizes are all that practical in my carry. My sweet spot these days is 2 to 2.5 inch blades. The Spyderco Ladybug and Victorinox Classic are similar in closed length to the Hummingbird, yet both feel much more useful than the Hummingbird. I'd never need a knife with a blade over 3.5" unless I was doing something outdoors. Even then, I'd opt for a larger fixed blade over a folder for that purpose.


As far as the differences in overall length goes, the Rat 1 comes in at 8.625" long and the Hummingbird is a measly 3.75" long. They look kind of ridiculous next to each other.


Despite how much I love my small knives, I find the Hummingbird to be too tiny and impractical for EDC. I'd consider it to be pocket jewelry, while the Rat 1 was designed with utility in mind.


As you can see in the photos above and below, the Hummingbird is able to fit entirely on the Rat 1's handle. When opened, the Hummingbird was slightly bigger than the Rat 1's blade which kind of surprised me. I thought it'd be able to fit entirely on the blade and handle.


That's it for this quick post. I figured it'd be fun to show the differences between my largest and smallest knives. I'm glad these two are gone from my collection since they represent the types of blade I'd never realistically carry everyday. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment