Friday, December 16, 2016

CRKT Folts Minimalist Thoughts

The CRKT Folts Minimalist is a small neck knife. It's pretty average on every level but is nice to try out to see if a neck knife/small backup fixed blade would be a good addition to your EDC. It's not something I'll personally recommend. It is a decent knife for the price though.



My favorite part about this knife would have to be the blade. The wharncliffe blade shape is just awesome. The steel, 5Cr15Mov, isn't anything too fancy, but it does cut when you need it to. I'm not sure how long the bead blasted finish will hold up. I've heard that people always have issues with this finish rusting. If the wharncliffe blade isn't your thing, CRKT has a number of other blade shapes, like tanto, bowie, karambit, etc.

My least favorite part about this knife would have to be the handle. I absolutely hate the ergos. I love my small knives. For some reason though, this blade doesn't feel good in my hands at all. The three finger grooves fit my fingers perfectly fine. I'd rather this be a knife that fits your whole hand. Since the finger grooves are so pronounced, there's really no other way to hold this blade. I think the grooves should be more subtle so that you could potentially fit your whole hand on the handle if your hands are small enough. I don't like being forced to hold a knife a specific way if that makes sense. I've had knives with handles this size before, and it's possible to get a full four finger grip on them. Maybe this handle would fill out your hand better if you had bigger hands. For me, this handle just doesn't work out.

Besides the ergos, everything else regarding the handle is fine. The Micarta scales are nice and feel good in the hand. I really like the green and black color combo. I think it's cool that the scales can be easily removed with the torx screws. CRKT makes it extremely easy to pimp this knife. There's also some jimping on the spine of the knife that adds some extra grip.

The sheath is great. It's just a plastic type material, but it fits the blade quite nicely. There's rivets all around it if you want to add a belt loop attachment or some paracord. Mine came with the belt loop attachment thingy in case you do want to belt carry it.

For the price, $20, you really can't go wrong. It's not made with the best materials. I see this knife as something you buy to figure out whether you'd realistically carry a neck knife in your EDC. It's extremely lightweight and easy to carry because of the size. It's not the knife for me personally, but it is a decent knife overall. I've seen plenty of other people that highly recommend this blade. Check it out if it interests you. Otherwise, I'd say skip it. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment