Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Three of My Favorite Mid-Sized Knives

As you all might know, I'd much rather have a small knife than a mid-sized one. However, I recently had someone ask me for some mid-sized knife recommendations in the comments of one of my videos. I struggled for a second to remember my favorite mid-sized options. I've tried a lot of knives over the years, and while a majority of my favorites have been small, there are ones beyond that size range I've enjoyed quite a bit. I wanted to do this post to highlight three of my favorite knives in the mid-size range. I consider a mid-sized knife to be one that's got a blade length of around 3" or so.

(photo from BladeHQ.com)

The Benchmade Mini Griptilian is probably my favorite mid-sized knife I've tried. The ergos are great, they come in all sorts of different colors, and the Axis lock is the most fun lock to play with. They're a little pricey for what you're getting in my opinion, 154CM and plastic handles, but it's still one of the best knives out there. Benchmade has since put out an updated version with G10 handles and CPM-20CV for the blade steel. The Mini Grips come in a couple different blade shapes too. I'd still like to get my hands on a Sheepsfoot blade one eventually. Here's a link to the Sheepsfoot version on Amazon.


The Spyderco Native 5 is another mid-sized knife I loved. You can check out my review post here to hear my more in-depth thoughts on it. It's a great lightweight knife that has fantastic ergos. Like the Mini Grip, it comes in all sorts of different styles, like FRN vs. G10, different colors, and different steels. This should be the model that Spyderco pushes instead of the Delica/PM2/Manix. The Native is loads better than all those. Here's a link to Amazon for the S110V version I had.

(photo from BladeHQ.com)

Last but not least, the Ontario Rat 2 is the best budget mid-sized knife I've tried. The Mini Grip and Native 5 are both pretty pricey, but the Rat 2 is able to do what they do for only $30. It has great ergos as well, plus it's insanely smooth. It too comes in tons of different colors, blade steels, etc. I thought it was an overhyped knife, but I really regret not picking one up sooner. It's a knife that I think every knife collector needs to own. Here's a link if you'd like to check it out on Amazon.

That's if for three of my favorite mid-sized knives. I'd like to eventually do a more in-depth post where I take a look at some of the more popular mid-sized knives on the market. If you're on the hunt for a new mid-sized knife to add to your collection, consider trying one of these out. They all impressed me and worked out well in my carry. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment