Sunday, June 25, 2017

Spyderco Native 5 Review

I didn't expect to like the Native 5 as much as I have. Ever since I got it in my hand, I knew it'd be a great EDC blade. Good ergonomics are probably the most important aspect in a knife to me, and dang, these ergos are some of the best I've ever felt. I think this is one of, if not, the best EDC knives Spyderco makes. It's a mix of a nice design, good ergos, and great steel. I definitely recommend you pick one up! It beats the Manix 2/Delica/PM2 out of the water for sure.


I love the design! It's nothing that stands out, but it's purely practical/functional for EDC. I like that the blade isn't very wide. Sometimes with Spyderco's blades, the Spyder hole will make the blade jut out a lot, but that's not an issue with the Native at all. This is a slimmer knife in both the width of the knife and the thickness if that makes sense. This knife is made in the USA too, for anyone that loves to support USA made knives.

The blade shape is simple. This version has the CPM-S110V. It's been super sharp and has nice edge retention. I honestly don't remember how long the blade is. I wanna say it's between 2.5" to 3" long. It's a nice, mid-sized blade. It has been perfect for basic EDC tasks. The Spyder hole is still by far my favorite way to open a blade. 

Like I mentioned, the ergonomics are insanely good. It fits my hand like a glove. I like that there aren't any dedicated finger grooves along the whole handle. You're free to place your hand wherever you'd like on the handle, which I really like. The finger choil is great if you want to choke up. Using this blade is a pleasure with these amazing ergos.


The FRN scales are great! I know some people don't like them because they feel cheap. I used to feel that way too, but honestly I've grown to love them. They keep the knife light, are super grippy, and can come in tons of different colors. This navy color is very cool.

The lock-up is extremely solid. I love lockbacks, and this one is great. This knife surprisingly has no blade play at all. I've found the majority of Spyderco's FRN lockbacks have a noticeable amount of blade play. It's never an issue that prevents the knife from fully functioning, but keep it in mind if you're a blade play snob.


The pocket clip is the typical hourglass clip and works exactly as you'd expect. Thanks to how slim this knife is, it carries like a champ. This knife is so light that I don't even notice it when I'm carrying it.

These retail for around $110. I honestly think that's a ridiculous price considering some of the materials. For FRN handles, that's not exactly the best bargain. I don't exactly attribute the higher price to the steel either. I personally wouldn't pay this much just to get the S110V. I think Spyderco's prices have gotten pretty crazy, and this particular knife is no exception. The only reason I wouldn't call this a perfect knife is because of the insane price.

All in all, this is a phenomenal knife. The price point for a brand new one is too high for me to justify, but if you're willing to pay that much, it's probably one of the better blades out there on the market. The great ergonomics turned this otherwise average knife into something amazing. I do recommend it, especially if you can find one used. I paid less than full price for mine, so that helped convince me to pick one up. If you're looking for a quality, mid-sized knife, consider picking this one up. I would recommend it. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment