Tuesday, March 12, 2019

New Knife: Rike Hummingbird!

These Rike Hummingbirds were going for a great deal on Massdrop a few weeks ago, and I knew I had to try one for that price. They normally sell for $135 on Blade HQ and were discounted down to $80. After getting it in the hand, I think the $80 price tag is still a bit of a stretch. However, you are getting nice materials (Damascus blade and titanium handles) and a beautiful design. 


I picked the green/purple color combo which looks awesome! It's even got some blue accents on the backspacer and clip. The ergos are pretty good for a knife this tiny. I can fit a two and a half to three finger grip on it comfortably. That's what I figured would be the case. It'll be interesting to see how it does in my EDC.

I'm really into small flippers at the moment and was intrigued by how a knife this tiny would flip. It's got a 1.5" blade which has to be one of the tinier flippers out there. The action isn't bad, but I've had some bad flips due to it being hard to get a solid grasp on. The flipper tab itself is very small, so if you miss it slightly, the blade isn't going to fire out cleanly. If you do get a good amount of pressure on the tab, it flips very smoothly and quickly. I'm thinking the size and flipper tab are something I'll get used to more over time.


Here's the Hummingbird next to the Bestech Reticulan. It's crazy how much of a difference half an inch in blade length makes. The Reticulan is definitely more of a usable knife than the Hummingbird. If I had to choose one for EDC, the Reticulan would get my vote every time. I feel like the Hummingbird will be more of a novelty/show piece in my collection. I hope some more pocket time will prove that wrong though. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment