Saturday, March 23, 2019

Revamping My EDC Gear Storage!

Last year I added a lot of gear to my collection and sort of outgrew my Pelican 1120 case. As you can see in the photo below, I resorted to keeping a lot of my most used gear loose on my bookshelf. I hate doing that because of how cluttered it looks. 


The next two photos are my storage before I made any changes. The Pelican case stored the bulk of my original collection and maintenance stuff. I use it as a dump box instead of the typical pick and pluck foam organized way. It obviously fits way more gear that way, plus I don't mind if my gear rubs up against each other. It is a little annoying to have to dig through the case since I stack everything on top of each other. It's not that big of a deal though, because I usually arrange it so my most used gear is on the top. 


I found this tin in my room and used it temporarily for newer gear. It worked out well and may still get used for some aspect of my storage (maybe for stuff that'll be sold soon).


At the moment, the Harbor Freight Apache cases are taking the knife world by storm. I love the design of Pelican cases and was interested in trying out something of a similar style. I got the Apache 1800 case recently and think it's a good deal for the price (about $15, less if you use the 20% coupons HF always sends). It's slightly bigger than the Pelican 1120.


Here's the after shots with my new organization in place. At first, I was planning on using the Apache for my flashlights/random items and the Pelican for my knives/multitools. After some more thought though, I didn't like the idea of potentially going into two different cases to pick out the gear for my EDC. Plus I still prefer my Pelican case for storage. The Apache case is nice but there's just something about it I don't like as much. This led me to use the Pelican for my favorite stuff and Apache as my overflow for things that don't get carried as much.


The Pelican looks about the same as it typically would. I like knowing that the things I reach for the most are in one place. There's probably at least 20 things in here which is more than you'd think it could handle.


The extra space in the Apache is of course good for storing more gear. I'll probably do a more in-depth post about the case itself at some point. It serves the role as another dump box perfectly, so I've got no major complaints right now.

I'll be doing a collection update at some point too once I've slimmed down my collection a bit more. I've got way too much stuff that I don't carry, so expect another sale or trade video at some point. I'm happy with how the reorganization turned out and think my storage should be good for a while now. Hopefully I'll always be able to contain the entirety of my collection in these two cases. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment