Saturday, April 7, 2018

Purple EDC Gear List

Purple is my favorite color, and I try my hardest to make sure I mostly carry purple stuff. It used to be impossible to do, but companies are slowly starting to add more colors to their lineups. It's not the easiest color to find your gear in, yet there's still quite a lot out there. I figured I'd highlight some of my purple gear, and talk about some other things that come in purple. Honestly, I just wanted to see how much big-name purple gear I could find out there. If you've been on the hunt for purple things, look no further than this post. If you'd like to find more in the future, my tip is to go on a big knife website like Blade HQ and GP Knives. You can search purple, and tons of different things will come up. I did one of these types of posts a couple years ago (linked here) where you can see the difference in how much purple gear I had then versus now. I'm not sure the format of this post will be the best, but honestly I don't know any better way to do it. I'll have a bunch of pictures with the name of the piece of gear at first, and then I'll have links at the very end. So let's start with all my purple gear first.



I've talked a lot about this gear in previous posts, so I don't think I'll be going too in-depth about each thing. At the end of this post, I'll have a links section for everything with links to my reviews on whatever I've personally owned along with some links to Amazon or Blade HQ if you want to pick any of this stuff up.

Knife wise, I've currently got three knives in purple. Those are the Esee Izula, the Spyderco Ladybug, and the Kershaw Launch 4. There are all perfect knives in my opinion. Check some of my past posts to hear more about my thoughts on them. Multitool wise, I've got two Victorinox Classics, one with the plastic scales and another with Alox scales. For writing stuff, some notebooks I use are the Moleskine Volant extra smalls, and pens I use are the Fisher bullet space pen and a Pilot Metropolitan. I've also got a purple Zippo which doesn't get much use, and my only purple flashlight, the Olight i3E. In the second photo were two things I almost forgot, a Klean Kanteen and a Big Skinny New Yorker wallet. That's all the main purple gear I carry every day. All the bags I own are purple too, but I didn't want to include them in this post. Maybe one day I'll do separate posts on all my bags. 

Those are all the things I own that are purple. I do love all of them, hence why I still own them. Now we'll get into things that I've tried in the past that didn't click and others that I'd still like to try.

For this next batch of gear, I'll be talking about purple gear I used to own that I've since gotten rid of. The front half of it is things that I do have reviewed on here. I won't talk too much about those, since I'll have links to my individual posts on them at the end of all this.


This is the Spyderco Endura. It's the best large knife out there in my opinion. The ergos are great, and it is the exact same length closed as the PM2. I'd definitely recommend you check it out.


Now onto the infamous Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I think this knife is insanely overhyped. Check out my review on it to hear more about why. I like the blurple color, but that's about it.


The Fenix E05 was my main EDC flashlight for a little while. I don't particularly like Fenix anymore. They're not the quickest to keep up with the upgrades in flashlight technology, and I've had a few quality issues with them as well. This was a great flashlight when it was popular many years ago. There are so many better flashlights out there now.


If you're not into fountain pens or higher quality pens, you might not have heard of the Lamy Safari. It's one of the more popular beginner fountain pens out there. I think it's overhyped, and the Pilot Metropolitan is a much nicer pen for a cheaper price too.


The Kershaw Shuffle is one of the biggest pieces of garbage I've ever tried. Mine was terrible quality, and honestly, it's overhyped as a small knife. The ergos suck, but I will say I love the black on purple color combo. I don't understand how people enjoy carrying them.

Now I'm going to get into some gear I've tried that I don't have my own photos of. All of the following photos are from BladeHQ. They are my favorite place to buy knives and other EDC gear. Check them out if you somehow haven't heard of them already!

I had a Spyderco Delica several years ago, but it didn't really click with me. I don't like the look of it, mostly because the blade-to-handle ratio is so off. The ergos felt a little cramped too. I think this is one is also overyhped. The Native 5 or Endura are much better offerings from Spyderco. I had a plain purple one, not this cool purple/pink combo that Spyderco recently did.

The Esee Candiru also felt a little cramped in the hand. I had one in tan before they came out with this purple colorway. The Izula is a much better fixed blade. I wonder if adding any scales to this would make it feel better in the hand.

The Fenix E01 was probably the first real flashlight I bought. The output sucked, the form factor wasn't the best, and there was always a weird hissing noise when I had it turned on. They went for like $10-$15, so they don't break the bank. I don't think they're worth that now, since they're pretty outdated.

This is the Kershaw Scallion. I have not tried this specific version, but I did own one with black plastic scales. I hated the SpeedSafe and didn't like how the handle swoops down near the spine of the blade. I don't personally recommend this knife at all.

Lastly, the rest of this post will detail some of the purple gear out there that I have not tried. I know I don't have all of it listed here, but this is a big chunk of it.



These two Kershaws are the Blur and Leek. I've always wanted to try a Leek as long as I've been into knives. I just wish Kershaw got rid of the SpeedSafe on both. I think Kershaw has discontinued the Blur, so you should be able to find them for a good deal right now. Some other Kershaws that are purple are a majority of the Launch line. I mentioned the Launch 4 earlier, and there at least three or four more in that line that are also purple. I definitely recommend any of the Launchs.

The Olight H05 headlamp is a somewhat recent release from Olight. It has pretty good specs, I believe around 150 lumens, for less than $20. I'm interested to try this out eventually.

The Gerber Dime is one of the only purple plier-based keychain multi-tools I've seen on the market. I've heard it's hit or miss as far as quality goes, but for less than $20, I think it's worth a try.

This is the Fenix UC02. It's USB rechargeable light for around $25. I'm hoping to pick one up eventually, so you might see my more in-depth thoughts on one some time in the future.

These two are the StatGear Pocket Samurai and Opinel No. 7. The StatGear is a random knife that I don't know much about. It's less than $20 and looks pretty small. Opinels are pretty well-known and fulfill that more traditional role. I don't particularly like the idea behind them. They are well-respected in the community though.

The Baladeo Papagayo reminds me a lot of a knife you'll see a few photos down. It's pretty cheap (less than $20), and it looks like a nice size for EDC. This is another piece of gear I may have to eventually try since it's so cheap.

Fenix has had a lot of their products featured in this post. I've always liked that they put out gear in purple. Their quality and specs aren't the best in my opinion. That's caused me to move away from them as a company. Some of their newer products still intrigue me. This is their version of the popular Nitecore Tube. I don't believe it has an official name. It's basically a $10 rechargeable flashlight. I don't know the specs, but I'd suspect it's less than a 50 lumens max. I don't think I'd buy one since I love my Tube so much. 

This is the Fallkniven LTC. I don't know much about them as a company. I like the color of course, but the price, around $70, seems a little high. It's a slipjoint with aluminum handles. I don't think I'd ever buy one personally. Props to Fallkniven for putting out a purple knife though.

One of the more expensive items on this list is the TOPS Knives Lioness. It goes for around $100, which is a fair price for a quality fixed blade. I've heard a lot of good things about TOPS over the years. I've still yet to try one of their knives. Maybe this one will be my first.

Links
Spyderco Ladybug: my review link and Amazon link
Esee Izula: my review link and Amazon link
Kershaw Launch 4: my review link and Blade HQ link
Victorinox Classic: my review link and Amazon link
Moleskine Volant extra small notebooks: my review link (I can't find these on Amazon, so they might not be produced in purple anymore)
Fisher Bullet Space pen: my review link and Amazon link
Pilot Metropolitan: Goulet Pens link
Zippo: Amazon link
Olight i3E: my review link
Klean Kanteen: my review link and Amazon link
Big Skinny New Yorker wallet: my review link and Amazon link
Spyderco Endura: my review link and Amazon link
Spyderco PM2 blurple: my review link and BladeHQ link
Fenix E05: my review link and Amazon link
Lamy Safari: my review link (this was a limited edition version, so you can't find this exact one anymore)
Kershaw Shuffle: my review link and Amazon link

Kershaw Scallion: Amazon link
Spyderco Delica: Amazon link
Fenix E01: Amazon link
Esee Candiru: Amazon link
Kershaw Blur: Amazon link
Kershaw Leek: Amazon link
Olight H05 headlamp: Amazon link
Gerber Dime: Amazon link
Fenix UC02: Amazon link
StatGear Pocket Samurai: Amazon link
Opinel No. 7: BladeHQ link
Baladeo Papagayo: Amazon link
Fenix Mini rechargeable keychain flashlight: BladeHQ link
Fallkniven LTC: Amazon link
TOPS Knives Lioness: Amazon link

You made it to the end! I'm not sure how I feel about the length of this post. If I do anymore of these in the future, I may try to mess around with the formatting some more. I at least hope it helps out all my fellow purple lovers out there. I might do some of these for other colors, mostly because it's fun to get colorful gear together. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ally, good post on your favorite colored gear, neat to see the options.

    I have a offer for you. You mentioned your kind of "spooling down" on perfect EDC gear search, plus that money is tight for you as a student.

    But I have some gear I'm getting ready to let go of in one form or another and I discovered several "extras", or have items I used very little, to not at all. That being said, I'd be willing to let you use them to write reviews about the knives.

    I have available a "Skyline", and a "Pub" knife both by Kershaw, a Victorinox "Recruit", a Gerber STL 2.5, and a Cold Steel Voyager 4" (fine edge).

    All the above are still in current production, and my examples are in pristine shape.

    If your interested, I'll LOAN them to you. I'll cover postage to you, if you cover postage, back to me, after your done. If you like something and would like to buy it, well discuss price, on what ever it is.

    My Email is Rifleman336 AT(keeping Spambots at bay)Yahoo.com

    Alex "Drew" Kaminski

    ReplyDelete