Friday, August 5, 2016

Cold Steel Mini AK-47 Thoughts


I’m not particularly fond of the Cold Steel Mini AK-47. It’s a cool blade, but it’s not the best for EDC tasks. It’s a tactical blade that only serves that one purpose. I figured I’d be able to use it as an EDC blade. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I’ve since sold this knife. I did want to get up this short post after the fact, just so I could document why I wasn’t a fan of it.

My biggest gripe with the Mini AK-47 is how overly tactical it is. The G10 handles are way too aggressive to keep in my pocket. The clip, mixed with the rough G10, is way too tight. The blade to handle ratio is really off, but that's more of a personal preference thing. The ergonomics are sort of weird as well. My hand has to sit pretty far back on the knife, which is not something I find very comfortable. You lose a lot of control over the blade when you have to keep your hand that far back. I’m sure that is fine for self-defense purposes, but for straight up EDC tasks, the hand placement really sucks.

There are several things I do like about this blade. The thumb plate makes the blade super easy to open. The blade shape is cool looking and performs pretty well for EDC tasks. It's a pretty perfect size for EDC tasks. It's not too big and not too small. I don’t have any problems with the AUS-8A that Cold Steel always used to use. I think it’s a perfectly fine steel for my usage. If you do have a problem with this steel, Cold Steel has started releasing updated versions of their blades with nicer steels. That obviously comes at a bigger price though.

I honestly don’t have much to say about this blade, hence the short post. I just wanted to talk about a few of the things I liked and disliked about it. If you’re a Cold Steel fan, then I say check it out. Otherwise, if you’re just looking for a good EDC knife, go look elsewhere. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment