Wednesday, August 24, 2016

CRKT Jettison Thoughts

CRKT managed to pack a lot of value into a tiny blade for a great price. That’s how I’d sum up the Jettison. There’s really nothing like it on the market. I highly recommend you pick this knife up. You will not be disappointed.


Let’s talk about the flipper first. I believe the flipper is what sets this knife apart from anything else that’s currently out there on the production market. I’ve never seen a knife this small with a flipper. It’s a phenomenal flipper too. The action is extremely smooth. The flipper itself is pretty small, but I haven’t had any issues with using it.


The wharncliffe blade is an absolute beauty. The steel is 8Cr13Mov, which isn’t the fanciest by any means, but it does perform decently well. The steel is definitely the most lackluster part about the whole knife. The 2” blade is perfect for light EDC tasks or as a backup knife. I’ve got no complaints when it comes to the blade at all.


What CRKT was able to do with the handles is really what surprised me. They were able to put titanium scales on this knife. That’s absolutely nuts, considering the knife is only $30. Like wow, if you’re a titanium lover, then you just have to pick this up. I personally have always hated titanium or any metal handles for that matter. However, on this knife, I love the scales for sure. The stonewashed scales look great and keep the blade looking classy.


The ergonomics of this knife are also pretty awesome. The handle comes in at a little over 3". Despite this small size, there’s still plenty to grip. There’s no jimping anywhere on the knife. Honestly, I like that, because I’ve found jimping isn’t that necessary. There’s a nice divot in the blade, where I’ve found is a natural resting place for your thumb. I can fit a full four finger grip if I rest my thumb in that little divot. You folks with bigger hands might have more of an issue with the size. I didn’t use to be a fan of the lanyard hole, since it extends past the knife, but now I don’t really mind it. That tiny added length is a good place to put your pinky, so I guess it’s not completely worthless.

The frame lock is pretty solid. There’s a tiny bit of side-to-side play, but that’s something I can live with in a $30 blade. The lock is pretty easy to disengage even though there’s not much knife to grip onto.

Like I mentioned earlier, the Jettison is around $30. You can’t beat that price at all. For the materials you’re getting, it’s a real steal. It may sound like a lot for a tiny blade, but believe me, it’s totally worth it. The flipper and titanium alone make it worth that in my opinion.

Overall, I highly recommend this blade. It’s one of my favorites for sure. It gives my beloved Spyderco Ladybug a good run for the money. If you’re looking for a classy backup blade, then this is your best bet. If you like everything about this blade, but the size, then check out the full-sized version of the Jettison. It’s pretty much the same blade, but bigger. Either one will serve you extremely well as an EDC blade. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment