Sunday, August 14, 2016

Minor Complaints About The Paramilitary 2

So I’ve had the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 for a little over a week now. I think it’s a great knife, but I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a perfect knife. I kinda expected it to be perfect, since everyone seems to hype it up all the time. I’ve got a couple minor complaints about it so far.

One complaint regards the edges of the scales. I’ve found that they’re very sharp and dig into my hand uncomfortably. It could just be me and my weak hands, but it’s definitely something I’ve noticed. I am used to FRN, so maybe this is how all G10 knives are. Either way, that’s probably my biggest complaint. I may try to round them off with sand paper eventually.

Another complaint is about the clip. I honestly just don’t like Spyderco’s hourglass clip much. I think this knife would be so much better if they had used a wire clip. This hourglass clip always digs into my hand when I’m holding the knife. Again, this could just be an issue with my hands, but it’s something I’ve found very uncomfortable. I may take off the clip completely and see how I like carrying it like that.

I’ve also got a complaint about the blade play and centering. I’ve heard there’s a fine balance between tightening the pivot and stop pin screws to get perfect blade centering and no play. I unfortunately have not figured this balance yet, so my PM2 has a tiny bit of side-to-side play. That’s obviously not a huge issue, but I just figured this thing would be rock solid. I still need to mess around with adjusting the screws. Maybe I’ll be able to get it more to my liking soon.

Something else I’ve been noticing is that I have to be very conscious of where I put my finger when I’m disengaging the lock. If I put my finger too far in, the choil will bounce off my finger, and the knife will remain slightly open. I don’t know if this is very common, but I don’t think I should have to put a lot of thought into where I put my hand to close this knife. I’ve had a different knife that had the compression lock and never once had this issue.


It’s still a great blade, but it’s not as good as I hoped. Everyone seems to absolutely love them, so maybe I set my expectations a little too high. It’s been super fun to try though. I’m not sure if it will stay in my collection long term. I guess it is good that these sorts of things are my complaints. They’re all pretty minor issues that don’t necessarily have to do with the overall design. I love the size, which isn’t something I expected. I can’t tell if I like the PM2 more than the Endura. I suppose only time will tell. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment