Sunday, January 22, 2017

FourSevens Mini Mk II First Impressions

I recently picked up this FourSevens Mini Mk II. Before I get into talking about my first impressions, I apologize for the super crappy photo. The lighting in my dorm room is terrible, so this is the best I could get with my phone. 


I'm on the hunt for the perfect EDC flashlight this year. I saw a couple of these on Instagram and thought they looked pretty neat. FourSevens is doing a combo package, which is what I got. It includes the light, a custom rechargeable battery that allows the light to have a max output of 1,020 lumens, and a charger for that battery. I paid $55 for the whole package. That's a pretty fair price, considering most Olight has the S10R Baton that retails for around the same price. I believe this is the brightest flashlight that runs on a CR123 battery. You can only get the 1,020 lumens if you use FourSevens' special battery, so you might as well just buy the combo package. If you buy the light alone without the special battery, you'd pay $40. Otherwise, it puts out 550 lumens from a regular CR123. That's still pretty bright for a flashlight this size. I'm very impressed with it as a whole so far.

There's definitely some things I don't like about it, like the clip and the color. The clip is really weird and juts too far off the light for my preferences. I took it off immediately. I wish they put this out in a couple of different colors. This is a newer light, so maybe that will happen down the road. They have a couple special editions in titanium/copper that offer colors other than black, but those are $85. This is a cool light, but it's definitely not worth $85. The threads aren't the smoothest either, so that's made the light a little stiffer for me to turn on/off. I'm sure it will loosen up as time goes on. I don't really have any glaring dislikes about it straight out of the package.

I do really like the size and the fact that it's rechargeable. The charger is pretty simple and to the point. The max output is pretty dang impressive too. 1,020 lumens in a light this small is crazy. I don't know if it actually looks like a 1,000 lumen, but it's super duper bright. I need to go out at night and see how good of job this would light things up. I'm going to try to get a fair amount of usage out of this light before I get a more in-depth video or post up. I'll probably just wait until March when I go back home for Spring break. I'm not immediately in love with this light, but I do see a lot of potential in it. It could be the answer to my quest for the perfect flashlight. I'll keep you all updated on how I like it. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment