Tuesday, January 17, 2017

How To Get The Women In Your Life Into EDC

There aren't many women that are into EDC. It's pretty unfortunate to be honest. I'd like that to change, so I'd like to give some advice on how to get the women in your life into EDC. EDC is a wonderful hobby, and I think many women would benefit from it. I don't propose that you initially get your wife, girlfriend, daughters, sisters, friends, etc. a full-blown EDC with ZTs and fancy flashlights. My biggest tips are to start with small and colorful gear. I haven't yet tried to get any of the women in my life into EDC, but this is the way I'll be doing it in the future. Any women you know may only want to carry small gear, and that's fine. I've built a pretty complete EDC kit with lots of small gear. As long as they have something that helps them be more prepared, then that's all that matters.

The reason I suggest small gear is because first, most women have smaller hands compared to you dudes out there. What's considered a mid-sized knife to you all would be a huge knife for us girls. Smaller knives have better ergonomics for people with smaller hands. The other reason I suggest small gear is because women always find small or miniature gear cute. You don't want a knife to scare a girl. You want her to embrace using it. Whenever I pull out my Spyderco Ladybug, every woman that's ever seen it thinks it's very cute. If I pulled out an Endura, the reaction was much different. The last main reason I can think of to carry small gear is that it's easier to carry. Women typically have little to no pocket space. We normally throw all of our crap in our purses or backpacks. Since we already have so much stuff in our purses, we don't want to carry some 5 pound titanium framelock when a tiny Victorinox Classic would do the job perfectly fine. Smaller gear is non-threatening and super easy to carry. Plus it's generally a lot cheaper than bigger EDC gear, so that's a benefit as well. You don't have to break the bank when you're trying to get any girl's foot in the door when it comes to EDC gear.

The reason I suggest colorful gear is because it's also less threatening. An all-blacked out knife looks a whole lot more scary than a purple knife. Everyone loves to own things in their favorite colors too. A lot of EDC gear companies are starting to produce gear in colors other than black. I will say, please do not get women anything pink unless that is indeed their favorite color. I think it's demeaning when companies put out gear for women that only comes in pink. Women like other colors besides pink. It's pretty easy to find gear in every color of the rainbow nowadays. If you give your girls anything colorful, it will make this hobby a lot less intimidating and a lot more fun.

So there you have it. You don't need to go crazy when trying to get the women in your life into EDC. Start with simple, small, and colorful things first. If you women you're trying to get into EDC seem to really like their starter EDC stuff, that's when I'd recommend you dial it up a bit and give them some more substantial gear. Even if they don't like the idea of EDC, at least you can say you tried. I'd say just getting them to carry a Victorinox Classic and small flashlight would be a win. Also think about practical things they'd use everyday, like first aid kits or backup batteries. You know the women in your life better than I do. Personalize your gear contributions according to their preferences and lifestyles.

I think I'm going to do another post about what specific gear I'd recommend giving to the women in your life. Until then, maybe put together an EDC keychain with a couple small tools on it. An EDC is much more than a knife/multitool/flashlight, but that's where I'd start initially if you're trying to get people started with EDC. I'm no expert by any means. I am a girl though, and I like to think I know how most women feel. If I wasn't already into EDC, then I'd definitely just want small, practical tools. I guess that's all I have to say for now. If you try to get any of the women in your life into EDC, let me know how it goes. If my advice is terrible, also be sure to let me know. Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. One of my ex's was hastened at first but once she got into it I had to lock up all my higher in knives because she wasn't really good at sharping them and I would find them in my knife box in need for a good sharping 😭

    ReplyDelete
  2. never thought about pulling my gf into edc world lol, try it now

    ReplyDelete
  3. A list of recommendations with links would be very useful.

    ReplyDelete