Thursday, July 23, 2015

Leatherman vs. Victorinox

Leatherman and Victorinox make great multi-tools. I like both companies for different reasons, but if I had to pick a favorite, it’d have to be Victorinox.

Victorinox just has a lot more options that fit my tastes. Their 58mm models are the perfect size for my EDC, plus they come in a ton of variations. I also think the fit and finish on Victorinox tools is more impressive. I’ve never had a problem with one of my Victorinoxs, but I have had a few quality issues with Leathermans. Victorinox tools have hands down the best scissors on any multi-tool I’ve tried. They cut through everything with such ease. The Leatherman scissors are terrible except for the ones on the Micra since those are dedicated scissors. The blade steel that Leatherman uses is usually 420HC or 440 if I remember correctly. I hate that steel, and Leatherman does a chisel grind on all their blades, which just makes for a horrible blade in my opinion. I have no clue what steel Victorinox uses, but it performs phenomenally. While I don’t use tweezers all that often, I do prefer the ones on the Victorinox tools. Both companies make small and keychain sized tools, yet Victorinox has a lot more options in those categories. The 58mm and the Cadet sized tools come to mind. Leatherman mostly produces their full-sized multi-tools, which are great, but they just aren’t what I need personally. If I do need a plier-based multi-tool, obviously Leatherman is the way to go. The Squirt P4 is the best keychain multi-tool with pliers that I’ve tried.

Leatherman and Victorinox are widely recognized companies that make great quality tools, but if I could only carry one, it’d have to be a Victorinox. Which company do you prefer? Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment