Monday, June 20, 2016

How I Make My Videos

I've gotten questions in the past about what camera I use to film my videos, how I edit them, etc. I wanted to make this post explaining how I make my videos. Then, I can just refer people to read this instead of having to answer the same questions a hundred times.

I guess I'll start with the camera. I've used the Canon Rebel T3i to film pretty much every single one of my videos. I occasionally use my iPad's camera if I want to make a quick video where quality doesn't really matter. The lens that I currently use on my T3i is the Sigma 17-70. It's a pretty good lens, and I don't have any big complaints about it.


I don't exactly recommend you use a T3i to film videos. It's a great camera for photography, but as far as videos go, it's kind of a pain. A DSLR for videos is annoying, because you have to manually focus everything, unless your autofocus is quiet enough where you can't hear it. If I tried to use autofocus, it would take forever to focus, and you'd constantly be able to hear it readjusting the focus. Plus the video files are humongous, so they take forever to upload. It's the nicest camera I've got though, so I put with the hassle to use it.

I don't normally do any sort of editing to my videos. They're all done in one shot out of convenience. Usually if I mess up, I just trash the footage and start all over again. This can take a while sometimes, but I've gotten a lot better about not messing up. If I do need to edit some clips together, I use Windows Live Movie Maker. It's a pretty crappy software honestly, but it can get the job done.

That's about it as far as what goes into my videos. I don't have any sort of fancy studio where I film them. They're all just filmed somewhere in my room. You don't need high end equipment to make videos. As long as they're not shaky and decent enough quality, that's what really matters. Honestly, the content of your videos is more important than how nice they look quality wise. If you've ever considered making videos, just do it. It's a lot of fun, and there's a great community on YouTube. Thanks for looking! If you've got any other questions that I didn't answer, feel free to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment