Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Spyderco Endura Thoughts

The Spyderco Endura is an absolute beast of a knife. As long as you know what you’re getting yourself into, it’s a great blade for sure. It’s not the most practical blade for my needs, but I can recognize a good blade when I see one.






As with all Spyderco’s blades, this one is great quality wise. I’ve had no issues with mine whatsoever. The fit and finish is perfect, and the blade is extremely smooth when opened and closed.

I’ve also got no complaints when it comes to the blade. Yes it’s pretty big, coming in at 3.75”. I unfortunately don’t need something this big on me every day. If you’re really into big blades though, this is the one for you. The VG-10 is a good steel. Sure it’s not S30V or any other high end steel, but it just works. It’s always been one of my favorite steels considering how sharp it gets and how well it retains its edge. The Spydie hole is quite large compared to what I’ve seen on other Spydercos I’ve owned. This added size makes it extremely easy to find and to open the blade. There’s also some jimping on the thumb ramp that does a decent job of providing more grip. I’ve found the Endura to be a great slicer that performs very well for EDC tasks.

The whole reason I was able to carry this blade in the first place was because of how lightweight and slim the handle is. Despite this blade’s huge size, it manages to stay insanely light thanks to the FRN handles. I absolutely love FRN, because it keeps knives light and provides a lot of grip. Plus you can’t forget that FRN allows for a ton of different color options, which is something I always like to see. The ergonomics are great. I can obviously fit a full four finger grip very comfortably. The large handle size allows me a lot of different options for how I hold it. I can choke up, keep my hand farther back, etc. The lockback does what it needs to do. It’s not the most fun lock, but it is very practical. Mine has pretty solid lockup. As with most of Spyderco’s FRN lockbacks, this one has some side-to-side play. It’s not anything unsafe, just something to mention for those that are blade play snobs. The hourglass clip is pretty good as well.  I’m becoming more and more of a fan of this clip. I still think the wire clip is the best, but this one would be a close second. It has great retention and allows the knife to ride pretty deep in the pocket.

The price is probably the only thing I’m not a fan of. It sells for close to $70, which I think is kind of ridiculous. Sure you’re getting a lot of blade for the money, but the materials are just average in my opinion. Spyderco manages to sell a lot of them though, so I guess the price isn’t unreasonable to most.

While I do love this knife, it’s not something I’m going to be keeping. I honestly just don’t need a knife this big. I really only bought it because it came in purple. If you need a big but lightweight knife, then this is the one for you. It’s pretty pricey, but it will definitely last you forever. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment